Ginger kids are human too

My husband has red hair and I used to have hair with a bit of ginger in it, so it was pretty much inevitable that our children would have red hair. Funnily enough all the red went out of my hair when I got pregnant, and it’s never come back. Now I have to dye my eyebrows and eyelashes so that they match my new hair colour. Ain’t hormones weird? I think maybe my daughter stole it. Anyway, before my daughter was born, I bought a whole lot of green gro-suits. “Did you think you were having a boy?” the nurses asked after she was born. “No, I just knew I was having a redhead,” I answered. And she is a redhead. She’ll probably hate it, but I think she’s simply exquisite.

I’ve written before questioning why people have to be so mean to ginger kids. But this is a terrible story. A British family has been hounded out of three homes in Newcastle by thugs who are teasing the children about having red hair. I think the thugs should have their hair and eyebrows dyed red and have to put up with being called “Blue” for a few months. Or “Gingerhaired Pussy Cat” or “Carrots” or “Red Dog” or “Big Red”. And have people presume that they are about to lose their tempers all the time.

Ginger kids are human too. Give ’em a break.

Update

(A picture of the Chapman children, L – R: Kevin, Daniel and Ryelle. Taken from an article in the Daily Mail)

1. anon
    Posted June 4, 2007 at 9:25 am | Permalink

LE, I agree!

I recently started seeing someone with sandy-blonde-reddish hair and my sister takes much joy in telling EVERYONE that her sister is ‘dating a redhead’. Or at least she did, until she remembered that her employer has a child with red hair…

But I’m not too fussed. I kinda like it.

2. Posted June 4, 2007 at 11:26 am | Permalink

Some of my favourite people are gingers! My step-cousin has the most beautiful auburn hair and pale skin.

3. fairlane
    Posted June 4, 2007 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

What is their reason for disliking people with red hair? I don’t get it.

Is it teasing that’s simply out of control, or is there more to it?

4. Posted June 4, 2007 at 1:20 pm | Permalink

absurd. there has to be either (a) some anciet feud going on between the abusive english descendents and what they perceive to be the red scourge of the scottish/irish, and/or (b) an awful lot more to the behaviour of the family and their neighbours than has been reported.

poor kids. i don’t understand why people with red hair are attacked in such a manner – what’s the stigma?

that said, i’m dark there’s no picture with the article; my mind boggles as to how red they actually are!

5. Posted June 4, 2007 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

I suspect there’s something more to the story too… How have this family retaliated to the teasing in the past? But if their hair colour is the only reason? That’s just so wrong. I thought the world had moved on from the belief that red hair was associated with the devil. Perhaps not…

Some of my favourite people have red-hair, I’ve dyed my hair red in the past and I’m married to a red-head (who tries to claim that he is not.) I asked him whether he’d ever been teased about his hair colour and he honestly couldn’t remember a single time that he was, not even when he was at school. I don’t get the stigma either.

6. fairlane
    Posted June 4, 2007 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

They’re are people who associate red hair with the “devil”? Seriously? Did they warp time and fall backwards about 1500 years?

People never cease to amaze me. I’ve seen a lot in my short life, but there’s always something new to come along and make me wonder how I got on this planet and when my “real” family is coming to take me home.

One of my favorite girlfriends ever had red hair. I loved it.

Morons.

7. Posted June 4, 2007 at 4:46 pm | Permalink

My husband sometimes tries to insist he is not a redhead too. He says, “I’m really blonde, with a little touch of red,” and gets sulky when you disagree with him. He doesn’t fit with the stereotype of the tempestuous redhead – he is very laid back, and accepted the nicknames “Red Dog” and “Gingerhaired Pussy Cat” with equanimity at different times in his life. Our daughter, on the other hand, has a very fiery temper indeed… I wonder where she got that from? Can’t think.

Wikipedia, that font of knowledge, has an interesting article about red hair.

It is the rarest hair colour. It is most common in Scotland and Ireland. I’m guessing I’m one of those people with a redhaired gene mixed with brown and blonde, which explains why I used to find red hairs amongst my hair. My cousin (who is Eurasian) has dark brown hair with red through it, which is quite gorgeous, but of course he doesn’t like it.

In medieval times, some people did think redheaded people had links with the devil. Perhaps some vestiges of that belief still exist today.

I’m guessing these poor kids did nothing wrong. Kids pick out whatever is “different” and use it to tease.

8. Posted June 4, 2007 at 5:01 pm | Permalink

Did you ever see the South Park episode “Ginger Kids” Hilarious.

9. Posted June 4, 2007 at 5:10 pm | Permalink

😀 I was actually thinking of exactly that episode when writing this post!

That’s where I got the idea for the treatment for the bullies… I just hope they don’t go the way that ginger-Cartman did…and decide ginger kids should rule the universe.

There’s only so much responsibility I can take at the moment, I’m just not up to helping my daughter rule the world. 😉

10. Posted June 4, 2007 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

It’s not red. It’s orange.

11. Posted June 4, 2007 at 11:26 pm | Permalink

My cousin called my hair “sort of lellowy-orange” when he was little.

My daughter’s hair is copper, with almost a red tint to it. Pretty amazing colour.

12. Posted June 13, 2007 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

Thought you might find this interesting:-

🙂

13. Jakarta Jockey
    Posted August 15, 2007 at 8:14 pm | Permalink

One cannot forget to add freckles to the equation – it makes the whole situation a lot worse.

14. Posted August 28, 2007 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Ginger Kids have no soul’s! its scientifically proven.

We non-gingers need to unite and eradicate these ginger terrorists before it is too late.

15. Posted August 28, 2007 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Does being semi-bald qualify me as a “non-ginger” or am I in another category altogether?

Maybe I could begin discriminating based on scalp color, shape, and shininess.

Bald spotism.

16. Posted September 9, 2007 at 8:44 am | Permalink

Googling the term ‘ginger’ with ‘red’ and ‘hair’ your website emediately came up.
    In Breda, the Netherlands, we had a RedHeadDay (RoodHarigenDag) last sept. 2nd. More than 800 ginger women (and a few men) gathered in Breda’s citycentre to have a meeting and find out what it was like to be ‘one-of-many’ in stead of the 1-2% of the entire population.

The result of last Sunday was broadcasted around NL, and newspapers’ frontpage headline. More photos and information will be placed on http://www.roodharigen.nl but if you take an average newspaper such as the local http://www.bndestem.nl there’s photoalbums with photos etc. (fotoalbum roodharigen)

My own project was Red-On-Red (translated directly from the Dutch frase Rood-Op-Rood) which is shown here: http://www.studio23.nu/expo1
    I hope one day I can do a same series of artwork in UK…

17. Posted September 17, 2007 at 9:07 am | Permalink

MeRy, I think that’s a great idea. “Ginger power”! I’ll make sure I take my daughter to such events. I’ve lost any red in my hair since having her, so I’m not even faintly ginger any more, but I can be ginger by proxy. And I shall be sure to tell her frequently that she is beautiful, because she is. Her hair is like a new copper coin, it’s just exceptional.

Love the red on red photos!

18. frank
    Posted September 25, 2007 at 2:52 am | Permalink

Gingers have no souls and should be persecuted. Just look at the picture on the article Gross!!!

19. Posted November 11, 2007 at 10:08 am | Permalink

hell yeah they should be hounded out… they have no souls.. i don’t want some soulless monster running around my neighborhood stealing the souls of children in a vain attempt to get one for themselves, its dangerous. Hell my friend was bitten by a ginger kid once, got a serious infection and had to have almost 5 years of therapy to be able to deal with the issue. The whole incident even destroyed his marriage becuase his former wife thought he might hurt their children. Hopefully in the future we will have special government run camps to help deal with this infestation

20. Posted November 16, 2007 at 11:11 pm | Permalink

gingers are a plague among man kind

21. Brainy
    Posted December 24, 2007 at 1:05 pm | Permalink

I was surfing the internet, I have read your comments.. guys, whats wrong with you, are you for real, finding red hair different.. i think we gotta start an organization called anti stupidness to eliminate dumb & stupid people from this world so we can live happily.. thank god that i am using my brain…

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I’m not sure about the former.”
    — Albert Einstein….

22. Posted January 3, 2008 at 2:51 am | Permalink

That’s terrible ! I never heard of redhead people being persecuted. My wife is a redhead.

23. Steff
    Posted January 25, 2008 at 5:51 am | Permalink

i dont understand why people insult people with red hair. its basicaly like insulting someone because they have brown hair. And the thing about redheads having no souls? are you kidding?!? thats the biggest piece of rubbish i have ever heard in my life. I was born very ginger, but eventually it has faded into a light strawberry blonde colour, and i definately DO have a soul.
    I wish people would just stop insulting people because of their hair, they’re idiots.

24. Posted January 29, 2008 at 11:57 am | Permalink

Steff, I don’t understand it either. My daughter is the most beautiful girl in the whole world (not that I’m biased) and she has red hair. She definitely has a soul too. It might be a cheeky little soul, but it’s there…

25. haley
    Posted February 5, 2008 at 5:13 am | Permalink

I kinda like being a ginger. its ok. But, i love my hair. No one has my hair at all. im totally unique!!

26. Posted February 5, 2008 at 12:15 pm | Permalink

I love my daughter’s hair. I’ve never seen anyone else with precisely that shade of copper gold. It’s awesome.

27. jrick
    Posted February 8, 2008 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

ok, i just saw the south park episode, and i just typed in “ginger kid” to see if they were just making it up.

I had no idea that people with red hair were even referred to as being ginger

wow, so interesting!

28. Beck
    Posted February 9, 2008 at 9:25 am | Permalink

All I know is when we are cut we all bleed the same colour, Red!!!

I was recently made aware of this by my older sister. Whom I might add is a preachers wife & a red head.

My dear departed aunt was also a red head & probably one of the most spiritual (christian) people I’ve ever known.

I don’t listen to that sort of trash or give it any credibility!!!! I ask, where are their souls that they would treat another human with such disrespect?

These folks that chide the red heads have nothing better to do with their time & to be quit frank have a very small mind!!!

I will turn 48 next week & have found in those years that people who do these sorts of things have a very low self esteem & must try to find something wrong with others to make themselves feel good about themselves. It is sad but proven itself to be true.

I grew up in the 60’s in the southern part of America & seen just how ugly discrimination was!!!!! A very dark blot on humanity!!!!

May the teasers ask for forgiveness for trying to bring this sort of brutality back from the dead!!!!!

My daughter married a red headed Brit & we love him dearly. Would not trade him for anyone else!!!!

I could go on & on but I think I have made my point.

What I would like to know is what century are these people living in? Sad we humans will do things to one another that animals would never dream of doing to each other!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am a brunette with hints of red. I know where my soul is & it’s right with God!!!!!!!!! Again where is the souls of those who tease & discriminate? Remember we are to love our neighbors as ourselves!!!!!!! One of the Lords greatest commands!!!!!!!!!

29. warren
    Posted February 15, 2008 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Dear Beck,

Did you know 80% of gingers dont even relise they have no soul, maybe you should leave the praying to us non-gingers now shouldnt you?

To all the non-gingers out there, there are also some handy tips on how to treat a ginger bite etc, maybe be worth a look just in case.

; )

30. becki
    Posted February 20, 2008 at 6:15 am | Permalink

hi i have ginger hair and was teased when i was younger and now i have 3 beautiful children with red hair and i dont want them to be teased aswell. it is stupid that people are so low that they have to tease some one for being a red head i think it is the most beautiful colour hair and dont think anyone has the right to tease anyone about it

31. RedPower
    Posted February 24, 2008 at 12:23 am | Permalink

RED POWER!!!!

32. Amber
    Posted March 6, 2008 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I am a ginger and it don’t bother me. Most of my friends call me Ginger. I even got a shirt that says Ginger, wen people call me it I dont get mad. I think its funny. Yah gingers shouldnt get picked on but let it go evry1 is gunna tlk so let them. I love being a Ginger and so should all the other Gingers.

33. bigsteve
    Posted March 12, 2008 at 2:07 am | Permalink

my girlfriend is a ginger and i love the red hair. the only thing i dont like about gingers is the devil blue eyes. kinda scary but i love gingers. go gingers

34. Posted March 14, 2008 at 3:35 am | Permalink

You Guys Who Think Redheads Have “No Souls” Are Seriously Sad. I Am Proud To Say I’m Ginger. And Before Any Of You Older People Have Diss Me, I’d Seriously Think About What You’re Saying As You Have No Idea What Redheads Are Like.I’ve Been A Redhead For 16 Years Now. It Makes No Difference To How We Behave Or Any Of The Crap Some Of You Lot Go On About. You Older People Make Me Laugh At How Pathetic You Are. You’re Probably In Your 20’s & 30’s & To Me, You’re Really Immature About The Way You Go About This Whole “Ginger” Business. Its Not The Gingers Who Dye Their Hair All The Time & Who Have The Boring Hair Colours. Get Your Facts Right Guys. Seriously.

35. mike
    Posted March 14, 2008 at 11:03 pm | Permalink

I don’t think that ginger kids are human. I have a girl in my school who is a ginger and she is a psycho. She believes that she can take people’s souls by looking at them. No one makes fun of her because she is insane. So obviously gingers are not normal.

36. E. CARTMAN
    Posted April 6, 2008 at 5:19 pm | Permalink

AH SICK! Children with red hair, light skin, and freckles. We’ve all seen them. On the playground, at the store, walking on the streets. They creep us out, and make us sick to our stomachs. I’m talking, of course, about Ginger kids. This disease is called “Gingervitis”. Kids who have Gingervitis cannot be cured.
    GINGER KIDS HAVE NO SOUL.

37. Omar
    Posted April 7, 2008 at 6:44 pm | Permalink

Anytime someone is different from the perceived ‘norm’ it makes them a target for this kind of thing. Its a sad commentary on our society. In this case it seems really stupid since I always had a thing for redheads lol But seriously, I feel bad for these kids….and I do wish they’d teach those other kids a lesson somehow.

38. Scott
    Posted April 8, 2008 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

I just want to say that being a Ginger is great. You have the rarest hair color in the world..idk bout you guys but that makes me feel pretty unique.sure,you get made fun of a lot but people always need to make fun of some1 different just because somethings wrong with them.

39. Farty
    Posted April 22, 2008 at 6:03 am | Permalink

its also been shown recently that the recessive ginger genes are essentially an evolutionary dead end and in a matter of a dozen generations or so there may well be no more gingers in the world at all. .

heheh. I’ve been telling them that for years but its nice to have it validated by scientific journals.

the other thing about gingers of course is their retarded use of the caps lock button.

40. Posted April 30, 2008 at 6:30 am | Permalink

I bet you guys are all a bunch of gingers and day walkers go to this website to find out the truth http://www.gingerkids.org/