HiveMind ™ Missing Link

The latest HiveMind ™ Missing Link is up over at Troppo. I edited the bloody thing in fingerless mittens, and kept making cold-weather typos. It’s about 5 degrees both inside and outside my house right now (and yes, I’ve tried turning on the air-conditioning, but 12 foot ceilings tend to obviate any effects. It’s lovely and warm on the top of my partner’s step-ladder).

So I’m after warm food and drink tips. I hear mulled wine is good. Has anyone got any recipes?

Apart from that, the stoush on the Open Thread is getting a bit on the testy side, so bring your winter warmers up here and cheer me up 🙂

1. GMB
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 12:38 am | Permalink

“John Quiggin furnishes a neat precis of the Swindle broadcast.”

Hang your head in shame any of you who thought he was a competent analyst and lets resist his pathetic threats just this one time.

Sister. You would recoil in horror at any suggestions I would make right now.

2. Sinclair Davidson
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 12:42 am | Permalink

OT. Watch the bit where a respected G8 professor rudely interupts to say the global temperature has been not fallen or being constant since 1998 and then look at the global temperature anomaly, then decide who has lied on national television.

3. Sinclair Davidson
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 12:46 am | Permalink

Okay. Custard is a lost art. Make yourself on the stove rather than buy it pre-made.

Scotch – neat or on the rock. My fav is Chivas Regal, or GlenFiddich. I know one is a blend and the other a single malt – both are good. Lochan ora is very good, on the rocks.

Hot sponge pudding is magificent.

But it is the middle of the night, so a nice hot cup of earl grey (no milk, no sugar) is good too.

Finally, curling up under the duvet (donner) with a loved one is very good.

4. Posted July 14, 2007 at 1:39 am | Permalink

I’m about to knock off some of my partner’s Jim Beam. I normally never drink it, but anything’s better than this. It’s now 4 degrees, I’m wearing a beanie indoors, and we’re going to let the dog into bed with us as he’s an excellent hot water bottle.

5. GMB
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 1:55 am | Permalink

Need two more dogs.

6. Posted July 14, 2007 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

“It’s about 5 degrees both inside and outside my house right now (and yes, I’ve tried turning on the air-conditioning, but 12 foot ceilings tend to obviate any effects”

Helen, you need to install ceiling fans to deflect the heat downwards. The ceiling fans need to be fairly low for this to work, so you need an installer who knows what he is doing.

ps. invest in some thermal underwear. I use these when I go camping. Even if it is zero degrees I find they keep me nice and warm.

I love winter!

7. Jason Soon
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 2:44 pm | Permalink

I love the cold. I sleep so much better in winter. Bring on the next Ice Age!

8. GMB
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Lets not be flippant about what these evil bastards are trying on here Jason.

We are afterall talking about the destruction of much of the terrestrial natural world and most of the human race if they succeed in their misdoings.

North Queensland would stil be a good place to live. But not many other places anywhere else.

You really must think these consumer goods that you buy show up by magic hey Jason?

Imagine just how hard industrial production would be with Europe and most of North America uninhabitable?

One good consolation is that fishing would be great. But thats about the only thing worthy about ice-ages.

Too busy drawing bogus cost-curves to figure out how all these goods and services get to you?

Ice ages are not fun.

Everybody dies.

And they last 60 000 to 100 000 years at a stretch. Hence the absolute fascism of looking the gift-horse of CO2 in the mouth.

9. Posted July 14, 2007 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

I like penguins. I want an Ice Age.

10. GMB
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 4:06 pm | Permalink

Stop being a stupid flippant fuck.

Take your nazism elsewhere fella.

Mass-murder could only be a joke if you people weren’t serious about it.

11. Posted July 14, 2007 at 4:44 pm | Permalink

Icebergs have human rights, too, Bird-brain.

Stop being such a fascist.

12. Posted July 14, 2007 at 5:27 pm | Permalink

Ye olde mulled wine recipes from the Oirish. Or you could do what the local beatnik bar does: they sprinkle cinnamon on the top of a glass of plonk and give it a blast from the espresso machine steam gun. Crude but effective.

4 degrees. Never thought Rockie could get that cold. It’s actually warmer in Melbourne. Sort of.

13. Posted July 14, 2007 at 7:14 pm | Permalink

Have invested in some thermal grundies (will need them for the UK anyway) and some sweet red that I’m going to mull. I already have ceiling fans, but d’oh didn’t think to turn them on 🙁

I love winter too. In a house designed for winter. If any of you ever visit me up here in summer, you’ll be grateful for my Qlder that rips 5 degrees off the outside shade temperature all by itself.

14. Scott
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

I swear by Bundy Rum to keep me warm in the cold winter months.

And I swear by it to keep me cool in the summer too.

Bundy Rum. Deadset Aussie legend stuff.

15. Posted July 14, 2007 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Yair pretty hard to beat is the old Bundy. Alas my partner’s snaffled the Beam… so I’d better get that wine now…

16. Scott
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

I thought you killed that last night?

17. Posted July 14, 2007 at 7:40 pm | Permalink

No, he did.

18. Scott
    Posted July 14, 2007 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

I need to log in more often. I can never keep track of what everyone is up to.

19. yobbo
    Posted July 15, 2007 at 2:07 am | Permalink

Is mulled wine spiked with ganja? If so it sounds like good fun.

20. Posted July 15, 2007 at 2:12 am | Permalink

It can be, Yobbo, but not in this household (wanting to keep practicing certificate and all…)

21. GMB
    Posted July 15, 2007 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Stop this flippancy and nihilism you facist Munn.

You know I went down to the Franz Josef Glacier when I was a kid.

And it was a beautiful thing.

Not just white but a rainbow of colours. And it was a great sense of loss that I felt when I heard that it had been retreating from the time that people found out it was there.

But if you look at typical interglacials being 6,000-10,000 years long and glacial periods being ten times as long…..

… Well then most glaciers become a great threat. The come off the mountain snapping strong trees like twigs.

The ice moves like slow-motion MAGMA boiling up and bulldozing the villages.

The townsfolk would be praying before the white wall of death.

So, pretty as these glaciers are, we will always have plenty of them around and they are a standing threat to us all the time.

Now its true that glaciation come on in surges whereas interglacials come on all-at-once.

But that won’t stop whole communities and then countries being bulldozed…….

….UNLESS…..

Unless there is something to this CO2-warming after-all and we can keep CO2-levels high and aerosols and sulphates low.

22. FDB
    Posted July 16, 2007 at 11:51 am | Permalink

Meat with bones in it. Shanks, osso bucco cooked so long and slow you can’t tell where the meat ends and the gristle starts, but it’s all so tender who cares?

Had a bottle of Dalwhinnie with the little lady to celebrate buying a house on Saturday – that’s some classy shit.

23. Posted July 16, 2007 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

Got down to 1 degree here last night.

24. Posted July 16, 2007 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

FDB,
    Try the Laphroig – that will keep the coldest of us warm with all the peat in it.
    GMB – it would keep you happy too. Peat has about the highest CO2 emissions for energy returned of all.

25. FDB
    Posted July 16, 2007 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I’m familiar with the Laphroiag (pretty sure it’s got an ‘a’ in it) and love it too. Very different, but I won’t play favourites. Dalwhinnie comes across a little smokier and yes, less peaty. But having not tried it before I was as usual excited to share.

26. Posted July 16, 2007 at 12:52 pm | Permalink

Well do I remember growing up in an old Queenslander. Those high ceilings are blessed things when the humidity is rated as “Bottom of the Marianas Trench” but I have also known the sudden wave of irrationality that causes one to look up at those same ceilings and see them recede into the distance to be replaced by an icy wasteland.