Good people

I’ve had a lot on my plate lately: marking a stack of exams, a conference paper that was supposed to be due in yesterday (erm…they’ll have to wait), amending another paper for publication, doing a PhD, looking after a 2 year old, another child on the way, as well as a terrible cold and cough which I’ve had for over two weeks and I just can’t shake it. This explains why I’ve been AWOL from the blog for a few days.

Anyway, Miss Two managed to wheedle me into taking her to McDonalds at lunchtime yesterday. I was feeling weak so I conceded. We were standing in the queue and I started to feel a bit funny. As we approached the counter, I realised I was about to faint. I have a bit of a tendency to do this. Instead of ordering a Happy Meal as intended, I slumped to the floor. I’m sure I didn’t fall gracefully, particularly given my bulk at the moment, but I don’t really know.

The good thing was how many people helped me – someone put a jumper under my head, someone got me a drink of water, everyone kept an eye on my daughter and reassured her. Later, a lady went up to the counter and placed my food order for me, as well as checking whether I was okay to drive home.

Fortunately, after resting for a while and eating some food, I felt a lot better. It was a bit embarrassing to collapse like that in public, but the nice thing was seeing how many good people there were who were willing to help me. Restores your faith in humanity!

1. DeusExMacintosh
    Posted June 25, 2008 at 1:49 am | Permalink

I have to admit that since I’ve become disabled (it’s a mobility problem and pretty obvious what with the crutches and Assistance Dog) I get regular reminders that there are some pretty nice people out there. Browsing in supermarkets they ask in passing if I need something passed to me and no strangers have ever been annoyed if I’ve interrupted their own shopping to request this. In contrast I have always had to ask people to surrender their seat on public transport – obviously it’s easier to be generous when it doesn’t cost you anything.

2. Posted June 25, 2008 at 2:38 pm | Permalink

DEM,
    The last time I offered to give up my seat to someone not obviously in difficulty was on the tube in London, where a blind lady got on and was trying to find one of the hanging straps to hold on to. When I offered her my seat I got a tirade of abuse for assuming she could not just hold on to both her dog and the strap.
    I was not sure whether it was just the way I asked or if she had had a bad day until about a week later when she got on the same carriage as me again and someone else offered her his seat – and the same thing happened, almost word for word. It happened regularly thereafter.
    Since then I do not assume a disabled person needs assistance on public transport – but am happy to help in supermarkets etc.

3. Ken
    Posted June 25, 2008 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

And it shows what nice people go to McDonalds.
    Bet you would have been ignored if it had been the local organic healthfood store.

4. Posted June 25, 2008 at 7:09 pm | Permalink

Andrew, that sounds like someone who has simply had an appalling manners by-pass. I do think there is something to be said for simple politeness, and that rude people do drain the well of human kindness or whatever you want to call it all too quickly.

5. DeusExMacintosh
    Posted June 25, 2008 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

That’s a shame Andrew, but don’t let it discourage you (if I had to negotiate rush hour with a dog, while blind I’d probably get pretty shirty too). The important thing is to ASK, “Would you like a seat?” and accept no if that’s the answer. I’ve been manhandled on occasion and almost ended up falling in their lap!

6. pete m
    Posted June 26, 2008 at 6:49 am | Permalink

hi LE.

bub number 2 arrived 11/6 – another girl! mum and bub doing well.

So now I’m outnumbered 3 to 1!!

Isabella Eve has joined the club.

ps I’ll do my best to steer her away from the law and into the Big Brother house, where apparently all the beautiful people go.

cheers

7. pete m
    Posted June 26, 2008 at 10:43 am | Permalink

thanks!

my wife picked the names as she didn’t like my suggestions – eg petunia, seven and september.

sigh.

ps jokes 😉

One Trackback

1. […] as pleasant as incarceration at Gitmo. Now we hear from an obviously sophisticated blogger whose faith in her fellow humans is renewed by a visit to McDonalds:As we approached the counter, I realised I was about to faint. I […]