Can’t be too long…

Today I’ve officially got 6 weeks to go until Baby is born. I’d know it wasn’t too far off anyway, because I have been overtaken by some very strange impulses…namely, cleaning impulses. Usually I’m not a very tidy person.

Last time, before I had my daughter, I drove my poor husband wild. I tried to move large pieces of furniture from one end of the house to the other. I cleaned down the washing machine, to the extent that I was picking out lint bits with a cotton bud, and shining it. At 8 and a half months pregnant, I decided I was going to cut and polish my car and vacuum and scrub every surface in it. It was a 35 degree day, and I ended up locking myself out of the house, so my poor husband had to come home and let me back in.

My husband is heartily relieved that I have been immobilised by hip and leg problems this time. I wander about the house glaring at things, but I can’t actually bend over or lift anything. I had to content myself with cleaning the computer keyboard with a cotton bud yesterday. It’s certainly not clean enough for my satisfaction yet. I’m considering levering all the keys off and vacuuming it, but I don’t want my hubby to catch me…

1. Posted September 23, 2008 at 8:09 am | Permalink

After Beloved’s waters broke, at about 3 am , she put on a load of washing…

2. pete m
    Posted September 23, 2008 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

Get help.

My gorgeous wife does not have much patience, and number 2 daughter is testing her limits and teaching her patience, whether she likes it or not. Presently I’d call it a draw, but the friendly fire is certainly testing my patience! Funnily enough we’d be great if we swapped. I can’t get enough of looking after bub, while my wife likes to get out of the house and work.

ps all the best with the delivery.

pete

3. Posted September 23, 2008 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

“cleaning the computer keyboard with a cotton bud”

What, you mean not everybody does that …?

4. lomlate
    Posted September 23, 2008 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

Computer keyboards are rotten… I say pull out the keys.

5. Posted September 23, 2008 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

WHy don’t you just wash it with water like I do? Som48times theR&^&E are iussses.

6. MsLaurie
    Posted September 23, 2008 at 3:46 pm | Permalink

For true madness cleaning, I suggest wiping the undersides of your window ledges.

Did it recently as part of my final clean when leaving a leased house. Was deeply irritated when the real estate agent failed to run a white-gloved hand under the ledges.

But I knew it was clean!

7. DeusExMacintosh
    Posted September 23, 2008 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

Sounds like Eaglet 2 is taxi-ing on the runway. Best of luck LE and see if you can talk hubby into hiring a commercial firm to spring clean the house for you. You can sit back with a cool drink and order people about for a few hours … what more could an expecting Mum want?

8. saint
    Posted September 23, 2008 at 11:44 pm | Permalink

Ah yes. Nesting!

Go ahead and get the vacuum cleaner out. After baby number one, men work out (or usually their mothers explain to them) that when their wives set about cleaning the kitchen with a toothbrush (or setting fire to it – don’t ask), all is well in the world and bubs will soon be arriving.

9. pete m
    Posted September 24, 2008 at 7:01 am | Permalink

LE – get a keyboard with a flat pad instead of buttons for keys – just spray and wipe it and presto, no more germy germs.

how could he argue with his wife and mother? no chance!

10. Posted September 24, 2008 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

It does pay to keep your keyboard and mouse clean. Studies have found these to be amongst the most bacteria rich items in the average house. Phones often come first. Which reminds me, a recent Swedish study found children how use mobile phones have higher rates of brain tumours. I read research years ago which pointed to this likelihood. If you’re an adult some studies also suggest a risk but with children basically the risk is always multiples higher. So think very carefully about how much your kids use mobile phones. Which makes me wonder: sharing of mobile phones could very well be a good vector for a number of microbial nasties.