What crime? They were just breaking the Ramadan fast with a BBQ! (or Things to do in Ramadan when you’re dense…)

By DeusExMacintosh

jewelofmedina

A radical Muslim who dressed his baby daughter in a hat with “I love al-Qaeda” on it tried to firebomb the home of the publisher of a controversial novel about the Prophet Mohammed.

Ali Beheshti, 40, along with Abrar Mirza, 22, have admitted conspiracy to recklessly damage property and endanger life after they poured diesel through the letterbox of a publishing house in Islington, North London.

Abbas Taj, 30, a mini-cab driver, was found guilty at Croydon Crown court of conspiracy to firebomb the home of Martin Rynja, the publisher of The Jewel Of Medina. He was to be the getaway driver, but was stopped in his car and arrested by armed police near Angel Tube station in the early hours in September last year, just after they had set fire to the premises.

Beheshti’s 20-month-old daughter, Farisa, was pictured wearing the hat when he took her along to a protest against Danish cartoons of the prophet Mohammed and proudly called her “the youngest member of al-Qaeda”. He waved banners vowing to “Massacre those who insult Islam” and promising “Europe, your 9/11 will come!” During the protests in 2006 he called himself Abu Jihad — meaning holy war.

The three men began their attack when publisher Mr Rynja was preparing to release The Jewel Of Medina, a novel about the Prophet Mohammed and the life of his child bride, Aisha.

The trio were planning to spend the night at Regent’s Park Mosque, in North London, as part of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, but shortly after arrival they set out with “fire-making equipment” for the home of Mr Rynja…

The publication of The Jewel of Medina was cancelled by one major publisher in the United States over fears that it could offend Muslims.

TimesOnline

Run that “religion of peace” line past me again…

1. Posted May 16, 2009 at 7:37 am | Permalink

They really need to hire a new ad agency. The current lot are just… crap.

2. Posted May 16, 2009 at 11:15 am | Permalink

I for one am glad that Christianity no longer can claim any monopoly on frothy mouthed lunacy. How dare you protest my protest. Comedy gold!

3. conrad
    Posted May 16, 2009 at 1:25 pm | Permalink

Yep, these people are hardly doing themselves a favor. In case you live in Aus, there was a funny incident on SBS news about a week ago, where the “moderate” cleric wouldn’t take questions from the female reporter sent to do the interview because she was female, and this was strangely enough mentioned at the start of the interview. Very moderate indeed!

4. Posted May 17, 2009 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Although to be fair Adrien, look more closely at the angles and you’ll see SOME of the youtube examples seem to have had a little help from photoshop. Kinda like these two (guess which one is real and which is fake)…

Photobucket

All those awful handwritten ones are from the London Protests against the Danish cartoons … you know, the ones where a convicted heroin dealer dressed up as a suicide bomber to take the moral high ground (and incidentally breach his bail). The guy who distributed the signs (Kill/Butcher/Behead/Massacre those who insult islam, Freedom/Liberalism go to hell, Europe is the cancer and islam is the answer, Europe your 9/11 is coming, etc) was one of only four of the mob who ended up being prosecuted.

Abdul Muhid, 25, also a Londoner, was convicted of two counts of soliciting to murder – and was also given six years. He stewarded and distributed placards, one of which read: “Annihilate those who insult Islam”.

Muhid was not a man without prospects. An academic young man, he was forced to give up his economics degree to find work to support his wife and daughter. He had a good job with a British Muslim body that monitors the standards of Halal meat.

In court his lawyer said there had been “no change” in Muhid’s thinking – although he added his client did not believe violence was “the way of Islam”.

Obviously hadn’t read his own signs…

They got around three and four years each variously for inciting racial hatred and inciting murder, that was in 2007. Are they still in gaol today? I wonder.

5. Jason Soon
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 9:33 am | Permalink

If only all Muslim clerics were cool guys like Abdurrahman Wahid

Islam could be rejuvenated by a moderate SE Asian influence instead of causation going in the opposite direction (desert lunatics radicalising Muslims in SE Asia)

6. Posted May 18, 2009 at 3:16 pm | Permalink

Kinda like these two (guess which one is real and which is fake)…

Um… lemme guess.

Please kick our arses. 🙂 ‘Bout right too (dickheads)

7. Posted May 18, 2009 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

I don;t want to be gratuitous or anything but isn’t the jewel of Medina a jewel? What amazing eyes!

8. John Greenfield
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

Islam could be reformed immeasurably if all the Sunni Arab/Pushtan males cashed in their express tickets to the 72 virgins.

9. Posted May 18, 2009 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

As long as they don’t cash them in at our expense, JG… that could get ugly!

10. Posey
    Posted May 18, 2009 at 5:07 pm | Permalink

Not very good chick lit by many accounts.

Wiki:

Indian Muslim writer Farzana Versey criticized Jones’ prose and perspective, based on the published excerpts: “It would be unfair to tar the whole book based on the Prologue, but it gives a credible peek into the language and lack of nuance the author employs. … Apparently, Ms. Jones for all her two years of research has managed a version of chick lit, where Aisha gets in confessional mode and in a Mills and Boon fashion ‘leans on her husband’, ‘falls into his arms’, and in a rather treacly account relates that ‘the pain of consummation soon melted away. Muhammad was so gentle. I hardly felt the scorpion’s sting.

11. John Greenfield
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 8:41 am | Permalink

SL

Too true. But the tragic thing is that overwhelmigly the martyrs end up martyring their brethren, rather than the indidel. I know it sounds mean, but I do believe in efficiency, so long may they ‘splode. Twelve Danish cartoons depleted their ranks by hundreds, imagine what an anthology might achieve!

12. John Greenfield
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 11:40 am | Permalink

I tell you what, those poor virgins must be more worn out than a rugby league moll!

13. John Greenfield
    Posted May 19, 2009 at 4:15 pm | Permalink

LE

Be nice? Who to? Thesefuck-in-a-dunny scrags? Not on your nellie.

14. Posted May 21, 2009 at 2:56 pm | Permalink

I’ve always wondered – who are these 72 virgins?
    Or as Clint Eastwood said in an interview recently “what’s so great about virgins?”.
    Some of them, I’m also sure, are silly naive girls who are flattered by the attention from someone “famous” and don’t realise what they’re up for until it’s too late to say “no” easily.
    Yeah that’s partly the problem. The old ways had strict etiquette in place to prevent this sort of thing happening. The new way, or lack of way, still produces young women who are clueless but, at the same time, doesn’t provide any social structures to protect them.
    I think. I was rather tipsy and said loudly (and genuinely), “Who?? Why should I give a F*** about him?”
    A friend of mine went to a Naughty by Nature after-party. She wasn’t a hip hop fan she was just meeting us. One of the band (huge bald black dude, superhero body, gold chain) kept getting his minions to summon her. When she finally went over she said: I don’t know who you are and I don’t care, leave me alone.
    The look on his face was priceless
    She looked a bit like a foxy floozy that night and she was. But she was also a systems analyst and a civil engineer.

15. John Greenfield
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

LE

Precisely. Heaps of my set – male, female, gay, straight, poly – have rooted in dunnies, but none of us later calls the media, resulting in a week of Catharine Lumby droaning on.

16. John Greenfield
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 5:00 pm | Permalink

LE

Even Germaine Greer would be 1,000 times better! 🙂

17. Posted May 21, 2009 at 5:47 pm | Permalink

But if they had been decent blokes, she wouldn’t have been in any danger. Clearly they weren’t decent blokes.
    Indeed.
    I think one of the unintended consequences of the sexual revolution and the influence of Rousseauian feminism has been that the cultivation of human males to control their aggressive natures has withered. The result isn’t sexual utopia but widespread disrespect.

Altho’ I have to say that that isn’t entirely impeding the progress of women. And I think perhaps a positive outcome is that you’ll have a generation of tough minded women once the girls who have to deal with such piggery grow up.

I think the concept of the gentleman must be reintroduced in updated form. Ladies too.

That won’t entirely eliminate gang bang unpleasantness because some people just have no class. 🙂

18. Posted May 21, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Greer at least has some brains, it’s just that she shoots her mouth off without thinking it through properly half the time, I suspect.
    My theory is that she’s a wiley old harpey taking the piss half the time. I suspected as much when she won the Golden Bull bad English aware for this:

The first attribute of the art object is that it creates a discontinuity between itself and the unsynthesised manifold.’

It sounds like an artspeak paraphrase of Camille Paglia’s assertion that art is the line drawn between nature and culture. Greer writes very well. And of course in response to the award she waxed eloquently on what she meant.

19. John Greenfield
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 6:02 pm | Permalink

That’s true. Camille Paglia argues that Greer’s brilliance was wasted once she removed herself from the discipline of academia. I think Camille might be right.

20. John Greenfield
    Posted May 21, 2009 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

Of course, where the whole feminism thing became a train wreck was once it became lesbianised. Miranda Devine nails it.

21. Posted May 22, 2009 at 11:24 am | Permalink

Yeah and it’s a damn shame she didn’t listen to her own advice.

When I was a teenager, I believed that gender was socially constructed.

Yeah same. Ha ha ha ha. 🙂

22. Posted May 22, 2009 at 11:26 am | Permalink

But it is obviously possible these days for two men to have a baby together. Looking at the guy above I just realized that Oliver Reed and Charles Manson must’ve been in love once. 🙂

23. Posted May 22, 2009 at 6:28 pm | Permalink

Uhh, last time I checked she hadn’t. Greer is a Professor of English Literature at the University of Warwick (she gave up on Cambridge when it became clear they’d never give her tenure).

And Adrian @28:

I thought a manifold was part of a car?

Sorry John, if you’re citing Miranda Devine as an authority you need a cup of tea, a bex and a nice lie down.

24. Posted May 22, 2009 at 6:38 pm | Permalink

Same re Angels and Demons movie – I hope the Catholic Church just ignores it rather than gives it any undeserved publicity by banning it or protesting about it – I haven’t seen the movie, but if it’s anything like the book, it must be tripe.

Went to see it over the weekend and yes, it IS tripe but for some people tripe is a delicacy. Considering so much of it is set in the Vatican, very little is actually about the Catholic Church or it’s doctrine so there’s nothing for them to complain about really. They get off pretty lightly. Unfortunately Langdon allows something so offensive to my scholarly heart at about the half-hour point I lost all sympathy for the character and started rooting for the Illuminati. It’s predictable, far too long and they’re always five minutes too late for ridiculously contrived reasons so the writing is a full-on fail but the acting performances are good. The science was just diabolically bad which is a slight problem as the entire premise relies on it for tension.

25. Posted May 22, 2009 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Italian chick (physicist) and yes – he allows her to tear a page out of the single surviving copy of an original Gallileo pamphlet because she can’t be bothered copying down the one sentence message hidden on the page in clear english.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. Posted May 22, 2009 at 9:52 pm | Permalink

I once annoyed a whole cinema of people in “Tomb Raider” when Angelina Jolie takes a knife to (from my recollection) a Blake first edition, to find a map hidden in the frontispiece, by shrieking in horror ….

what is it with blockbuster movies and blatant disrespect of literary treasure?

27. John Greenfield
    Posted May 23, 2009 at 5:58 am | Permalink

Adrien

On CP taking her own advive, I could not agree with you more. Ironically, it seems that her girlfriend’s having a baby may have soddened CP’s own harpishness! 🙂

DEM

Actually, La Greer ditched the Warwick gig as soon as Female Eunuch was published, then spent the next 20 years out of academia. You are correct, she briefly returned to academia – at Cambridge – before being sacked for opposing the employment of a trannie. She nowadays is an emeritus prof at Warwick. I think Camille’s point is that even during those brief academic soujurns, Germs was more “guest” or adjunct or emeritus, rather than semester in, semester out teaching three courses, slaving over scholarly journal articles and books (with all the peer review and shit that goes with it).

I don’t think MD is an “authority” but she does often talk a lot of sense. I think this particular article is superior to any of the fembot dirges we have heard from the Sapphosphere on the SkinnyWogGate TM issue.

28. John Greenfield
    Posted May 23, 2009 at 5:59 am | Permalink

Er, sorry, wrong Clare, I mean the Matty Johns to-do.

29. Posted May 24, 2009 at 9:58 am | Permalink

On one level I knew it was appealing to my every teenage fantasy, but that’s just what I loved about it.

Why? He’s just a good looking rebel who lives by his own rules. 🙂

30. Posey
    Posted May 24, 2009 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

Adrien @33- Good pick on Oliver Reed & Charles Manson mix-match.

One of my first boyfriends looked like Oliver Reed as he did in “Women in Love”. Both very sexy man if NUTS. Reed made his penultimate lover sign a statement swearing she’d never speak unless asked a direct question. Less said about my mad swain the better.

31. Posted May 25, 2009 at 10:20 am | Permalink

There was an episode of Teh Goodies where they were gonna plant a bomb under Oliver Reed, ring someone up and issue demands. Give us what we want or else….

We don’t blow him up. A great actor, a great souse and a total arsehole.

32. Posted May 27, 2009 at 2:10 pm | Permalink

I like that when the Sherald ran that Miranda Devine article, which in abbreviated form reads “real men like to crack skulls”, they also had (still have) a link with picture showing one of the real men’s former employees with a black eye she got from (&^&#$??) his shadowboxing. One picture can comfortably cancel out an entire article of ill-timed idiocy.

33. Posted June 3, 2009 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Driveby commenting here, people, but I’m always happy to tell anyone who’ll listen that Jewel of Medina is one of the crappiest books you’ll never read.

I couldn’t get past about chapter 6, although I do intend to attempt it again.

Talk about dodgy, purple prose.

It is horrid, horrid swill and for that reason alone should be subject to burning.

(says she with a wardrobe with several crates of books, and a house with 5 totally stuffed bookshelves and a stack a dozen high next to the bed).