Are homosexuals still Toryphobic? (with bonus RDM* sprinkles)

By DeusExMacintosh

toryphobic

Culture Secretary Ben Bradshaw has said “a deep strain of homophobia still exists on the Conservative benches”.

Mr Bradshaw, one of three gay men currently in the cabinet, made the comments as a new poll suggested more gay people were turning to the Tories. Chris Bryant, another gay minister, said: “If gays vote Tory they will rue the day very soon.”

But Tory frontbencher Alan Duncan said the two men’s comments showed Labour was “actually the nasty party”.

Being seen to be more “gay friendly” has been a key part of David Cameron’s mission to decontaminate the Conservative Party brand and make it more acceptable to young, socially liberal voters. There are currently two openly gay men on the Conservative front bench – Shadow Environment Secretary Nick Herbert and Shadow Commons Leader Mr Duncan.

In a symbolic gesture aimed at further healing relations with the gay community and burying the Tories’ “nasty party” image, Mr Cameron this week apologised for Section 28 – the controversial law brought in by the Conservatives in 1988 banning local authorities from portraying homosexuality in a positive light…

Labour has also been pushing its gay credentials. But new research by Jake, a networking organisation for gay professionals, suggests a worrying trend for Labour, with 38% of Jake members who took part saying they would vote Conservative at the next election, 1% higher than the general population, according to an average of recent opinion polls.

Labour came third on 20% behind the Liberal Democrats – even though 86.6% of those surveyed said Labour was the party that had achieved most for gay people and just 4% said the Tories were “gay friendly”, compared with 44% for Labour and the Lib Dems.

BBC News

What a shocker. Gay people may vote for reasons NOT related to their sexuality… but then Chris Bryant, aka “Captain Underpants” (for reasons above and obvious – yes that is the [up]standing MP for The Rhondda Valley posing in his tightie whities while touting for casual sex via a gay dating site) has never really struck me as someone with a nuanced appreciation of stereotyping.

It is however a useful distraction from his “homophobic constituents forced me to fiddle” defence for flipping his second-home allowance twice in two years. Trying to claim £58,000 for repairs and renovation while earning over £60,000 a year representing one of the most deprived former mining communities in the South Wales valleys hasn’t gone down particularly well either.

Mr Bryant, the Tories are the least of your worries right now… though it’s lovely to finally meet that donkey Labour have always claimed they could stand for election in The Rhondda and still win.

* right dishonourable members

[APOLOGIES TO AUSTRALIAN READERS WHO MIGHT HAVE BEEN HOPING FOR SOMETHING TO COVER ‘UTEGATE’, BUT AS I’M IN THE UK I’M NOT REALLY FAMILIAR WITH THE BACKGROUND. I CAN HOWEVER RECOMMEND A USEFUL SUMMARY HERE THAT SEEMS TO COVER IT. ADMIN-DEM]

1. conrad
    Posted July 5, 2009 at 6:11 am | Permalink

“Gay people may vote for reasons NOT related to their sexuality”
    Of course they might too, and with good reason — gays are one of the most discriminated against groups left in the world, and really do have issues specifically to do with them that affect them on a daily basis. You would be crazy to vote for parties that are going to enact (or not repeal) laws to discriminate against you specifically. Things like equal rights and so on may well trump other issues, especially when other differences between parties has become so minor (although perhaps that’s not true in the UK).

2. John Greenfield
    Posted July 5, 2009 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

I have never in my life allowed my sexuality to determine my voting patterns. I fact, I doubt sexuality has ever come within the top ten issues I am voting on.

Conrad

gays are one of the most discriminated against groups left in the world

That might well be true globally, but do you have any data at all to back up this claim. It clearly is not the case in Australia.

Do they? Such as? We could just as easily highlight issues specifically to do with any identity group you care to concoct and name.

Well it depends on what these laws are; the degree to which they are enforced; the penalties, when compared to all the other aspects of one’s life that might be affected by a political party.

I really do think public discourse has been treading water for decades. The number of people – overwhelmingly leftist – who say “things like/such as,” and then dump some cliche issue.

You have chosen the vapid “equal rights”, while other Leftists such as John Quiggin will say, “oh we need a social democratic government coz they care aboult issues LIKE health and education.

We are never given an example of one of these “like” issues, and surely the days are passing when people think bovinely there is something innately more efficient and better quality of ‘health and education’ under Labor.

So Conrad, what for the gays are things LIKE “equal rights”? A new local public swimming pooll? Drastic changes to IR? And then the “so-on” Could you list them for us? And you say these thing LIKE…and “so-on” “may well trump other issues”. Well der, certain issues among any Australians whether gay, straight, trannie, white, black, or cerise with yellow stripes have issues that are more important to them than others. Plenty of people vote for the Hemp party each each election; and some used even to vote for the Democrats!!!

If it were still the mid 1970s or early 1980s – with draconian anti-gay crimes, such as sodomy still on the books, – you betcha I would be mad, BOILING mad, and extremely politically involved at both the political party level and the community level.

However, those days are ancient history. For me, “gay marriage” would be lucky to make the top 20 of issues I mull over come election time.

3. conrad
    Posted July 5, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

JG,

I guess it depends on what you mean by discrimination, but worldwide, it’s hard for me to think of groups that would be worse (just look at India today!) — so no, I don’t have data for specific instances of actions occurring. Perhaps I’m not being very imaginative, but I think you are biased by living in one of the most gay friendly places on Earth, which still isn’t very gay friendly on the street level in large swathes of Australia, not that much can be done about that in the short term (I’ll guess blacks for most likely to be discriminated against in Australia, incidentally, who have special legislation, just for them!).
    Perhaps on this note, you can think of a group that is more discriminated against, and I’ll agree I was wrong if you can! No doubt females and gays have a pretty close call in many places, but females tend to be fine in many places that gays arn’t (like many Asian countries, oh and Tasmania until a few years ago, not the “early 80s” 🙂 ).
    By equal rights (“like”), I mean all things that currently gays can’t do that straights can’t, like marry (with all the rights that it entails, such as property rights, adoption rights, IVF etc.), get persecuted by the government for being a couple (or did that just pass a few months ago?), and so on (I’ll add workplace discrimination, which I think is more controversial, although I don’t intend to argue about it). I agree that in Australia, many of these issues are not huge anymore, but that’s not true for many places on Earth. It’s also the case that things couldn’t go backwards. You can thank the younger generation for that not happening.

4. conrad
    Posted July 5, 2009 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Sorry, it should be “it’s also not the case that things couldn’t go backwards”

5. Posted July 5, 2009 at 1:48 pm | Permalink

HA HA HA HA HA 🙂

6. Posted July 5, 2009 at 1:50 pm | Permalink

I have never in my life allowed my sexuality to determine my voting patterns.

How would you know?

Cerise with yellow stripes

Mmm enough about your ethnic fetishes. It’s not the topic. Or is it?

7. Posted July 5, 2009 at 6:48 pm | Permalink

A very good chuckle to be had… and yes, I think I now understand Utegate, kinda, sorta…

8. Posted July 5, 2009 at 10:03 pm | Permalink

Paedophiles.

And before anyone explodes, please note that I am ONLY comparing the similarity of being persecuted for the way you are made. Exercising your homosexuality does no harm, exercising your paedophilia harms children and is rightly criminalised but once out of gaol you can expect to be hounded at both local and national levels (thank you News of the World) regardless of whether you ever offend again. It’s the last unforgiveable crime.

9. John Greenfield
    Posted July 6, 2009 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

conrad

I’m in a rush now, but this a good topic. I’ll write a lot more later, but now one answer to your question would be aborigines. Oh, and did you see the questions I asked you on the “Rose by any other name” thread?

10. John Greenfield
    Posted July 6, 2009 at 12:26 pm | Permalink

LE/SL

Your blog reassures “Your email is never published nor shared”. You are more than welcome to publish my email to the whole bloody world, if you would change your policy – directed at me “Your post is never published”! 🙁

11. Posted July 6, 2009 at 1:13 pm | Permalink

I think a lot of homosexuals, especially those over the age of 40, have internalized homophobia and that has cause great damage to their psyche.

If you do a little googling you’ll soon find that the list of right wing Christians and conservative politicians who criticise homosexuals by day but spend their nights with their arses in a sling at the local gay sauna is longer than a monkey’s arm. These folk must have the most incredibly twisted minds. Poor luvvies.

12. Posted July 6, 2009 at 1:40 pm | Permalink

I’m sorry, JG, but Akismet keeps eating your comments, and I’m not around 24/7 to let them out!

Mel: I think that’s probably right.

13. John Greenfield
    Posted July 6, 2009 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

SL

I know, I’m just trying to be witty! 🙂

14. Posted July 6, 2009 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

Now I’ve got a picture of Tony Abbott in some steaming dungeon off the Cross saying eat the meat.

Eeeewwww!

15. Posted July 6, 2009 at 8:49 pm | Permalink

Okay, that’s just NASTY…

I don’t think constant hypocrisy with one life by day and one by night is necessarily what always happens with closeted conservatives, Mel. More likely they spend 95% of their lives trying to deny the sexuality they hate for the sake of their beliefs, but periodically ‘binge’ like an over-strict dieter because it’s fighting against their own nature.

16. John Greenfield
    Posted July 7, 2009 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Adrien

How would you know?

Good point. I’ll try and defend it.

1. By the time I got my first vote, poo-jabbing etc. had been decriminalised and there didn’t seem – from my perspective there wasn’t much for the state to do, except continue to butt (heh) out! Besides can you remember any election campaigns run over the past 20 years sucking up to poofs and lezzos?

Fuck HREOC and give me a tax-cut!! 🙂

17. Posted July 8, 2009 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Yeah. Happens all the time in the seat of Bligh for some reason. 🙂

One Trackback

1. By Skepticlawyer » The Begging Letter on July 12, 2011 at 3:17 am

[…] market and ‘flipping’ residence to dodge capital gains tax while they were at it. Chris Bryant MP, the current commons scourge of Rupert Murdoch is almost certainly right that the media has no […]