Taking a break

I’m not recovering from pneumonia as well as I ought to be, and thus I’m going to take a break from everything for a week or two. See you in a week (hopefully I’ll feel much better then).

If you want something interesting to read in the meantime, have a look at this article from New Scientist on Baynesian statistics and juries (h/t Dave Bath). It’s about whether juries know their statistics. Interesting stuff – I confess I only got 2 out of 5 right on the statistics test.

1. Posted October 29, 2009 at 10:21 am | Permalink

Hi Legal Eagle,

I would like to have a private conversation with you in regard to some legal software I am creating.

This isn’t a sales pitch, I am looking for people to take a look at what I am developing and provide
    some feedback.

If you are interested please email me.

Cheers
    Sam Howley
    Oak Focus Software

2. Sinclair Davidson
    Posted October 29, 2009 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Get well soon.

3. Posted October 29, 2009 at 5:50 pm | Permalink

Agreed, for entirely cynical reasons as well as altruistic ones: we want you back writing for the blog 😉

4. Posted October 30, 2009 at 9:05 am | Permalink

I’m sorry to read you’re not getting better. Take care.

5. Posted October 30, 2009 at 10:19 am | Permalink

You’ll be in my prayers tonite.

6. Posted October 31, 2009 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Just saw something in Nature that plays to LE’s “mad, sad, bad” line that appears regularly, and thought would be of general interest to regulars:
    Lighter sentence for murderer with ‘bad genes’ with the teaser “Italian court reduces jail term after tests identify genes linked to violent behaviour”

It’s the first time in a European court, and the science community is divided about whether this is a good thing in general, or even whether the tests in this particular case were appropriate.

De-encapsulating annelids!

7. Jayjee
    Posted October 31, 2009 at 3:48 pm | Permalink

LE

You have pneumonia!?How does this happen? I have always associated pneumonia with homeless people sleeping rough during Winter!In 21st century free healthcare middle class Australia how does one get pneumonia outside it being an opportunistic infection from a far uglier malady!?

Whatever the answer, take all the drugs they offer you, and search the Net for some they might be holding out on! 🙂

8. Posted October 31, 2009 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

Pneumonia is the most common complication of flu. When you read about elderly people dropping off the perch during the flu season it isn’t actually the flu that gets them, it’s follow up bacterial pneumonia (the lung problem itself can be caused by viruses, bacteria, chemicals or even an allergic reaction). There’s now a vaccine against pneumococcus which is the strep bacteria that most commonly causes pneumonia. Have you had that yet LE?

9. su
    Posted November 3, 2009 at 8:38 am | Permalink

I hope you recover soon Legal Eagle. It has been some years since my bout but I remember how long it took to be able to move without puffing and wheezing. Rest up!