Word, Pat

You may not agree with everything notable atheist and skeptic Pat Condell says, but it needs to be said all the same. You may not like Geert Wilders much, either, but this is appalling.

More (mainly in Dutch, alas) here.

1. Posted February 8, 2010 at 9:17 am | Permalink

Thanks for drawing this to my attention, he puts it well.

2. Nick Ferrett
    Posted February 8, 2010 at 10:00 am | Permalink

LE, doesn’t it get back to the point that it’s *wrong* to regulate people’s attitudes (as distinct from their actions)?

3. Joseph Clark
    Posted February 8, 2010 at 10:38 am | Permalink

From the summons quoting Wilders:

„Prohibit this miserable book the way Mein Kampf was also prohibited!?
    and/or
    „I have enough of the Quran in the Netherlands: prohibit this fascist book.?

He’s hardly a free speech advocate.

4. Posted February 8, 2010 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Oh, Wilders is (or was) no friend of free speech, I think that’s fair to say. Fortuyn, by contrast, was a friend of free speech and a consistent libertarian (by European standards, anyway). To be fair Wilders may have changed since then, and he may also have been aiming for deliberate hyperbole — there is much in the Koran that is comparable for its exterminationism with Mein Kampf or great wads of Lenin. Unfortunately, one cannot always choose one’s allies, which can lead to free speech advocates defending “Illinois Nazis” etc.

By way of background, I have been forced to keep something of an eye on the Netherlands, as my aunt, uncle and cousin live there.

5. Henry2
    Posted May 6, 2011 at 8:39 am | Permalink

For a site that touts itself as skeptical of religion, I had to go a fair way back to find a suitable post to attach this to.

A story today questions the progressive medias approach to stories with an Islamic angle as compared with similar stories with a Christian angle.

I profess no religion but I dont come at ‘no religion’ with a particular anti-Christian bent or with a fascination for some ancient or distant other theism.

I don’t understand then, why the media downplays something like what some see as a religious inspiration for murder

Regards,

One Trackback

1. By skepticlawyer » Amnesty’s slow burn on February 15, 2010 at 6:31 am

[…] am aware that this can mean sticking up for some pretty toxic people; as I mentioned in my comments on the current Geert Wilders blow up, sometimes this can even go so far as ‘Illinois Nazis’ (with apologies to the Blues […]