Sunday Funnie and Open Discussion Thread

By DeusExMacintosh

Iran’s supreme leader has denied it is developing nuclear weapons, after a new report from the UN atomic watchdog, the IAEA, sparked an international outcry.

Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said any fears were “baseless” as Iranians’ beliefs “bar us from using such weapons”.

The blunt report raised concerns Iran was working on nuclear weapons.

Russia said it was “very alarmed” over the report while the US warned Iran it faced consequences if it failed to meet international responsibilities.

According to the unusually forthright report by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), Iran’s level of co-operation with the agency was decreasing, adding to concerns about “possible military dimensions” to its nuclear programme.

Britain and Germany both said the report reinforced their “great concerns” about Iran’s enrichment of uranium and other nuclear activities.

Enriched uranium can be used to fuel nuclear power plants. Very highly enriched uranium can be made into atomic bombs.

BBC News

SkepticLawyer is at a libertarian conference in Washington this week and LegalEagle is down with a tummy bug so I’m throwing open the thread for general discussion. What are you up to? What do you think about the departure of Pauline Hanson? Or the Canonisation of Mary MacKillop? (Or the canonisation of Pauline Hanson..?)

Is the recession really over or will the massive public debts incurred in bailing out the banks mean a double dip is inevitable? Is Manib al-Masri the next Palestinian in line for assassination, or should he be?

Feel free peeps.

1. Posted February 22, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

I was thinking about the canon process advertised as ensuring that declared saints are actually saints, that purported miracles are actual miracles… involving the devil’s advocate.

The problem is, that the process is advertised falsely if the devil’s advocate is a pretty high-up imaginary sky-friendster. Why don’t they have someone who WON’T be going to heaven by their own idea… a gay atheist would have far fewer conflicts of interest if being the devil’s advocate! Hell, why not go the whole hog and require that the devil’s advocate actually be a satanist?

2. Posted February 23, 2010 at 5:47 am | Permalink

Ah, but you’ve forgotten the cab-rank rule Dave. The advocate has to be the first lawyer available (I will however entertain the argument that ranks of lawyers are naturally overrunning with the truly evil… though only because both LE and SL are overseas and can’t get me!)

3. Posted February 23, 2010 at 7:22 am | Permalink

Yes apologies for my absence. I am now in NY for the ‘holiday’ part of the exercise, and experiencing the world’s flakiest internet connection… so much so that I am not game to turn it off as I strongly suspect that whatever let me on this time will figure out how to chuck me off again in the interval. Pictures of sundry USAnian things will show up in due course, although at the moment I am nursing sore feet from marching all around various NY sights.

4. Posted February 23, 2010 at 7:25 am | Permalink

How was the libertarian conference SL. Will you post?

5. Nick Ferrett
    Posted February 23, 2010 at 7:53 am | Permalink

@Dave, perhaps they couldn’t trust the satanist not to tank the trial and allow a satanist into the ranks of the saints?

6. Posted February 23, 2010 at 7:53 am | Permalink

Internet permitting, yes, although the more pressing matter is incorporating conference feedback into my thesis, so alas you are all likely to get a bit of tourist travelogue, at least initially.

The Statue of Liberty is very green, btw. Nothing prepares you for how green she is until you see her. It is actually quite a fetching green, and of a piece with the oxidized copper that decorates much of downtown Manhattan.

7. Posted February 23, 2010 at 8:49 am | Permalink

I didn’t know Ahmadinejad was an actor too. What a renaissance Man. Obviously this photo is from the Iranian remake of Lost in Space. Ahmadinejad is playing Dr Smith: Oh the pain! The pain!

8. Hugivza
    Posted February 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

“any fears were “baseless” as Iranians’ beliefs “bar us from using such weapons”.

When people cite their beliefs as a reason for implicit trust, my cynical sense says that it is time to worry. These nice people who have yet to embrace the true Gillette told me so. Ugh?

One Trackback

1. By skepticlawyer » The Statue of Liberty is very green on February 23, 2010 at 9:35 am

[…] I mentioned in the comments to this thread, the Statue of Liberty is a rather fetching green, something I hadn’t […]