It’s over

For the moment anyway. Yes. I’ve handed in my PhD thesis. I can’t quite believe it: my hands and knees are shaking. Now I’ve just got to hope that the examiners have mercy on it.

I put a special part in my acknowledgements for my two co-bloggers and for the regular commenters on this blog who have broadened my mind. Blogging has made a very important contribution to my thought processes. And a very special thank you to SL and DEM who encouraged me from afar when I despaired at times.

1. Miss Candy
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 11:38 am | Permalink

Did you get your balloon? And do a victory lap?

2. Miss Candy
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 11:39 am | Permalink

And a big fat congratulations and well done. As a friend of mine said, “Doing a PhD is like giving birth to a freight train”. And with the kids! And work! you are insane. Well done.

3. ken n
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 11:55 am | Permalink

goodonyer.

4. Posted September 1, 2010 at 12:02 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. What are you going to do now, apart from sleep?

5. Posted September 1, 2010 at 12:22 pm | Permalink

Glad to hear that you have finished it LE now must be the time of a few sherbets!!!

6. Posted September 1, 2010 at 12:44 pm | Permalink

Congrats LE, here’s hoping you get good marks!

7. Sinclair Davidson
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 2:07 pm | Permalink

mazeltov!!!!

8. Tatyana
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Congratulations. It’s a big achievement.

9. Posted September 1, 2010 at 4:08 pm | Permalink

Hooray!!! I hope you have a drink… or two… or three.

10. Posted September 1, 2010 at 4:20 pm | Permalink

Well done! Congratulations! Yay you!

I hope this means you can now watch/read lots of sci-fi! And do other fun things that you want to do.

Woo hoo!

11. Peter Patton
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

You Go Girl!

There is nothing better than that feeling “i’ve had enough” and so you hand it in, and when the results come back so positively, you realise you could have handed it in 12 months ago and still done well! 🙂

12. conrad
    Posted September 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Great. Does that mean the end of your problems or the start? 🙂

13. Posted September 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm | Permalink

Well done! I am in awe – I am having enough trouble getting mine done without kids. Enjoy your sci-fi and your sleep and the feeling that there is absolutely nothing more you can do about it now.

14. Posted September 1, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Happy happy joy joy

15. Posted September 1, 2010 at 8:26 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on seeing it through to the end: that is a major selection process in itself 🙂

Posted September 1, 2010 at 8:30 pm | Permalink

Congrats! More than I can imagine ever doing myself!

17. Posted September 2, 2010 at 4:05 am | Permalink

**happy dance!!!**

18. Susan Prior
    Posted September 2, 2010 at 7:03 am | Permalink

Well done! Well done! Well done! Having watched progress from afar I can only say that I am in awe at your achievement!

19. Posted September 2, 2010 at 5:13 pm | Permalink

Further and conclusive evidence that you utterly rock. Congrats.

20. PAUL WALTER
    Posted September 2, 2010 at 5:18 pm | Permalink

The people I’ve met who have completed doctoral studies have tended to end a bit knackered for a while in the wake of it.
    Having done an under grad degree, I can almost conceive of the sheer significance of a higher degree, as to a statement about what genuinely hard work at an exponentially more demanding level is demanded of those talented enoughto get the nod for proceeding with one in the first place.

21. Posted September 7, 2010 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Regarding kids and finishing PhDs – I was heading towards the finishing stretch on mine, but I had the feeling it would get a bit extended… until I found I was pregnant with twins (we already had a toddler). It was a truly excellent motivator. I recommend it.

It is, I suspect, far easier to complete a PhD with babies inside rather than out.