Tim o’Shanter

By DeusExMacintosh

The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales has brushed off any concerns that there is a lack of enthusiasm for the Pope’s visit. Archbishop Vincent Nichols said he was sure “Catholics are looking forward to this visit very much indeed”.

The archbishop’s comments came after it was revealed that thousands of tickets remained unsold for events during the visit of Pope Benedict XVI to the UK.

David Cameron said he was offering the Pope a “very warm welcome.” The prime minister added that Pope Benedict’s four-day stay, the first ever state visit to the UK by a pope, was “incredibly important and historic”.

“These will be a very special four days not just for our six million Catholics, but for many people of faith right across Britain, and millions more watching around the world.

“Of course, not everyone will agree with everything the Pope says, but that shouldn’t prevent us from acknowledging that the Pope’s broader message can help challenge us to ask searching questions about our society and how we treat ourselves and each other.”

The largest organised event during the Pope’s visit to England and Scotland is an open-air Mass at Bellahouston Park in Glasgow on the opening day of Pope Benedict XVI’s trip to the UK.

The capacity has been reduced to 80,000 after a slow take-up of tickets.

Dioceses in England and Wales have also reported thousands of unfilled places for a London vigil, and the service to beatify Cardinal Newman in Birmingham.

BBC News

* Glasgow’s protestant Scots (Tams) traditionally support Rangers, whilst Glasgow’s catholic Scots (Tims) traditionally support Celtic. The reason Rangers have more supporters than Celtic is because it’s easier to shout “F*ck the Pope!” than it is to shout “F*ck the Moderator of the Free Church of Scotland!” from the terraces.

1. Posted September 16, 2010 at 6:50 am | Permalink

More great image fu from DEM 🙂

2. Posted September 16, 2010 at 7:00 am | Permalink

I’m rather taken with the papal condoms, in part because they seem to be in better taste than much of the official merchandise.

3. Hugivza
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 8:03 am | Permalink

Great compilation, but I’m confused. Is that a papal vibrator next to the papal condoms or is it perhaps a light to lighten the heretics?

4. KiwiInOz
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 8:22 am | Permalink

Is that where “Tim Tams” (a much over rated biscuit) comes from?

5. Posted September 16, 2010 at 10:27 am | Permalink

David Cameron is such a muppet. What should prevent us from acknowledging the benefits of the Pope’s broader message is that challenge to ask searching questions is non-existent.

6. Posted September 16, 2010 at 5:31 pm | Permalink

Hugivza: DEM assures me that — condoms apart — everything else in that frame is genuine merchandise sold as an adjunct to the tour.

Oh yes, and the Rev. Iain Paisley is doing a counter-protest today in the Grassmarket (Old Town). He WILL get his picture taken. By me.

Posted September 16, 2010 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

Monty Python ruined His Eminence’s eminence for me – The Pope and Michelangelo skit – “only ONE Christ?” but this runs a very close second. Thanks for the smiles.

8. mel
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 7:02 pm | Permalink

I hope an unruly mob tar and feather Pope Benny, or at the very least give him a good old fashioned wedgie. I really do hate that old buzzard.

9. mel
    Posted September 16, 2010 at 7:21 pm | Permalink

Well yes, I should point out that my latest anti-papist outburst is prompted by Pope Benny’s whinge about a Belgian police investigation into the Catholic pedophile racket- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/7857506/Pope-condemns-deplorable-Belgian-child-abuse-raids.html

10. Posted September 16, 2010 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Hard to give a bloke in a skirt a wedgie.

11. Posted September 16, 2010 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

It’s a flashing plastic candle for pilgrims going to the masses. Health and Safety means they’re not allowed to take in open flames … though from the ‘holy spirit’ picture, I can kind of see their point. (And yes, apart from the condoms, every single piece of tat you can see is genuine tour merchandise. There’s even a ‘heart speaks unto heart’ baseball cap. http://www.papalvisitstore.com/ ).

12. Posted September 16, 2010 at 9:23 pm | Permalink

Hard to give a bloke in a skirt a wedgie….

I’d have to disagree. Speaking as one who is forever reaching behind her to pull her knickers out of her bum because she married Peter Pan, just send my husband in. He’d probably toss him like a midget for good measure. He’s always wanted to do that and heavens knows I never let him have any fun – I ‘ve had to stop him from tossing a midget three times in the last four years. But I would let him toss the Pope.

I love the merchandise too. I said NO. (still snickering)

13. Posted September 16, 2010 at 9:37 pm | Permalink

Presuming, of course, the Pope hasn’t adopted the Scottish practice… where there’d be nothing to, ahem, ‘wedgie’.

14. Posted September 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm | Permalink

What I love about this blog is the high intellectual tone of the comments…

15. Posted September 16, 2010 at 9:39 pm | Permalink

Perhaps all those not enamored with the Pope and what he attempts to sweep under the carpet protect should go and buy lots of federici icecream – based on the ads apparently banned in advance of the Pope’s visit.
    and

There are a number of ads (tags in brackets) … pregnant nun (icecream immaculately conceived), nun and priest (yielding to temptation) or two priests looking like they are about to kiss (we believe in salivation) .

Of course, with /this/ Pope’s apparent attitude to authority v Vatican2, Tom Lehrer’s “Vatican Rag” song *wont* be the official music.

16. Posted September 16, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

given that scots have such a tradition of being innovative, I wonder if someone will celebrate the pope’s visit with a naughty or heretical act in public so novel that everybody exclaims “now /that/ is an original sin”

17. Posted September 17, 2010 at 8:51 am | Permalink

A little OT – But a funny clip with David Cameron displaying his Muppet acumen.

Good if you’re a Pulp fan too.

18. Posted September 17, 2010 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

Interesting arguments in Foreign Policy mag from precedent under British law (including House of Lords on Pinochet) for prosecuting a head of state arguing that it is legally possible, though unlikely, for the Pope to be arrested and prosecuted.

Thoughts from those with legal smarts?

19. mel
    Posted September 18, 2010 at 12:35 am | Permalink

“… for the Pope to be arrested and prosecuted/”

That’s much too sophisticated.

I’d prefer to see him undressed and prostituted.

20. mel
    Posted September 18, 2010 at 11:10 am | Permalink

Nonsense, LE.

Here in Victoria it has been widely reported that of the 100 Catholic priests known to have perpetrated sexual abuse a grand total of just one has been defrocked. Many others still serve in official church positions. Can you name one scout group or other secular organisation that keeps so many sex abusers on their books?

Pope Benedict also recently blasted the Belgian police for invading church property during their investigation of approx 500 abuse claims involving over 450 priests. There is no way a head of a respectable secular institution could adopt such an attitude and keep his job in this day and age. See here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704212804575332552935857776.html

21. Posted September 18, 2010 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

Two things: (1) the Rev Paisley was a no-show (one could have fired a cannon down the Grassmarket when he was supposed to front).

(2) The Catholic Church has huge institutional problems, but then so do all the monotheisms. Believe me, the rabid behaviour of many Muslims is not evidence for a healthy polity, psychological or otherwise. The reason I wrote that earlier post was because I find the glee with which the Pope is being pursued disturbing. Okay, Church doctrine is a true case of ‘you fail evolutionary biology forever’, but having everyone else standing around pointing and giggling is not helping.

22. Posted September 18, 2010 at 5:03 pm | Permalink

[email protected]: “but then so do all the monotheisms”
    Well, Abrahamics, yes. As to the others (I know one), I haven’t heard of any problems – but then, I don’t know if zoroastrianism has much in the way of institutions (proselytism is frowned on… so no need to put on shows to recruit customers)

23. mel
    Posted September 18, 2010 at 5:28 pm | Permalink

” … I find the glee with which the Pope is being pursued disturbing.”

I might agree if rabid mobs of atheists were killing priests and burning churches but that is not happening.

What is happening is people are mocking the Catholic Church with a mixture of humour and outrage and this is much like the banter that goes on in the secular world of politics. I find this current trend a welcome breath of fresh air and in no way harmful. It is free speech at its finest.

But by all means, if you think the Catholic Church and the collected works of L. Ron Hubbard belong on a special pedestal, knock yourself out.

24. Posted September 18, 2010 at 6:20 pm | Permalink

[email protected]: “people mocking the Catholic Church with a mixture of humour and outrage”

Aaah, but as in those ads, the humor *causes* outrage, and gets governments coming down hard on the jokers. Compare those ads in the UK with the Danish cartoonists depicting Mohammed (which is a big no-no because Islam sees any depiction of holy figures, Jesus included, as risking idolatry). How did the action of Nordic and UK governments differ? What is the difference in *doctrinal* offence from the humor?

25. Posted September 18, 2010 at 6:39 pm | Permalink

The Danes gave the Muslims the finger (quite rightly, too). Everyone else, not so much. Very annoying that in Australia the cartoons were only reproduced in one paper (the Daily Telegraph), and only as part of a Tim Blair opinion column.

I seriously want someone to do a ‘Life of Brian’ on Muhammad, if only to get up the noses of people who are too precious by half.

I don’t think anyone’s imaginary sky-fairy doctrine should be taken seriously, or otherwise it does lead — as Mel alludes to — a situation where everyone’s sky-fairy doctrine has to be taken seriously.

Trying to arrest the pope, though? Naah, too silly and stunty, and difficult to sustain legally, as I’ve discussed elsewhere.

26. Posted September 18, 2010 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

[email protected] “I don’t think anyone’s imaginary sky-fairy doctrine should be taken seriously”

Does the category “sky fairies” include invisible hands and animal sprits?

27. Posted September 19, 2010 at 11:33 pm | Permalink

‘Pends whether those animal spirits are related to football teams…never seen a clearer case of animal totemism than the footy.

Ah, you’re familiar with Cyril the Swan then?

28. Posted September 20, 2010 at 7:35 am | Permalink

[email protected] I my defence when charged with animal totemism, that practice is associated with a special relationship with that animal in the real world.

Howver, I detest Felis sylvestris in the real world, and love communing with Gymnorhina tibicens, some of whom /have/ protected me (by flying around to ward off other swoopers when I’ve been walking a kilometre or two through the patches of other magpies). QED I’m innocent of the charge of totemic woo.

Geelong’s blue/white hoops represent sunlight on waves of the bay (cats hate water), with the woo and totem change really being the rise of luck after the burial of a cat in the middle of the home oval. (Ascension after burial and a labelling with the name of the buried? Parallels with the Pope’s team?)

Posted September 20, 2010 at 5:11 pm | Permalink

I think this thread is the definition itself of ‘un-Australian’ haha

One Trackback

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by John Hacking, Legal Eagle. Legal Eagle said: Tim o’Shanter: The leader of the Roman Catholic Church in England and Wales has brushed off any concerns that ther… http://bit.ly/cdb5M2 […]