flybe4Udie

By DeusExMacintosh

Passengers have told of their fear after realising the plane they were travelling in had lost a wheel.

The Flybe Bombardier Q400 took off from Exeter International Airport bound for Newcastle at 1225 GMT on Thursday, with 39 passengers on board. A wheel detached shortly after take-off, forcing the plane to circle for about 90 minutes before landing.

No-one was injured. The UK Air Accidents Investigation Branch is investigating.

Christine Jackman from Newcastle was on the flight. She said: “I got my telephone out and sent my partner a goodbye message which does seem silly now, knowing I’m standing and back at work today, but at the time it was a frightening experience.”

She said a colleague of hers noticed the tyre leave the plane as they took off. They advised the staff, who she said dealt with the situation in an “extremely professional” manner. She described the next hour and a half as they were circling the skies above Exeter as “panic”.

She added: “It was quite shocking and I don’t think the reality of the situation took place until we had landed and saw the emergency services waiting for us. That was quite alarming.”…

A Flybe spokesman said: “The Q400 aircraft was operating a flight from Exeter to Newcastle with 39 passengers and four crew on board when, on retraction, one of the wheels detached itself on to the runway.

“The aircraft landed safely without further incident; all passengers left the aircraft as normal by means of the aircraft steps.

“The safety of its passengers and crew is Flybe’s number one priority.

BBC News

Not good news for billionaire fund manager, George Soros who took a 3.4% stake in the low-cost airline when it was floated back in December. Perhaps he can hedge the investment with another in a parachute factory.

Posted March 10, 2011 at 3:38 am | Permalink

?

It’s hardly the end of the world! You can always skid-land.

Posted March 10, 2011 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Patrick it is only jealousy on my part, but I’d love some day to watch Mr Soros skid-land.

Suggested hedge is too funny DEM.

3. Iain Hall
    Posted March 10, 2011 at 4:48 am | Permalink

The answer is not to fly 😉

4. Posted March 10, 2011 at 5:49 am | Permalink

Card-carrying member of the White-Knuckle Brigade?

5. Posted March 10, 2011 at 5:49 am | Permalink

… at least no-one ever (and still) believes there are invisible hands that stop the wheels falling off planes.

Posted March 10, 2011 at 8:47 am | Permalink

You idiot Dave (in all fun, how else could I respond?)

7. Posted March 10, 2011 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

I have never got into a working flying machine SL, They crash…

8. Posted March 10, 2011 at 3:05 pm | Permalink

[email protected] – I’m sure you are responding with many fewer expletives than City folk when the wheels fell off the sterling in a Major way.

I wonder if apologising airline executives will be selling themselves short?

9. Posted March 11, 2011 at 10:36 am | Permalink

btw: when the wheels came of the pound, rabid lefty me had more fun than most people in the world – i was senior tech wrangling software used by treasuries and trading desks, able to run loose in back rooms of banks… unable to resist verbally kicking people who were down in their philosophical nuts. The treasuries of quangoes were amused though – they weren’t into FX apart from instruments in USD, and as public servants, were less righty than there bank equivalents.

It’s possible the plane wheel represents a problem with a bad hedge bet – maintenance costs againt oooops costs. If it does turn out to be cost-cutting in maintenance, I’m sure there’ll be “fly b-grade” jokes.