Too cool for school…

By DeusExMacintosh

If they’d taught me about THIS in school, I’d have started paying attention!

(Stop motion of behind-the-scenes processes for creating this mechanism can be found here.)

1. conrad
    Posted April 9, 2011 at 9:49 am | Permalink

That is pretty ace. I wish I still had my lego from when I was a kid.

2. Chris Bond
    Posted April 9, 2011 at 5:59 pm | Permalink

DEM, thank you for posting that clip… I’m an engineer, and it gave me shivers down my spine as I watched, and thought, “they achieved that level of technology over 2,000 years ago!” Literally awesome.

3. Posted April 9, 2011 at 6:19 pm | Permalink

Quite a fascinating combination of maths, science and history to study there.

4. ben
    Posted April 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm | Permalink

i’m amazed they were able to get all the same ratios out of lego gears.

Posted April 11, 2011 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Luckily, conrad, I now have my kids’ lego, and their kudo files as well – parenthood really does pay off 😉

6. Posted April 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm | Permalink

Patrick, you didn’t pinch their train set while you were at it, by chance?

/runs and hides.

7. Posted April 11, 2011 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

[email protected]: yes… I’m in my third childhood now thanks to grandkid.

but these days we have lego mindstorms to play with. I’ll be getting my grandson’s well before recommended age so /i/ get to play.

And if you want to confuse-a-kid, get them to make the models I’ve got at http://balneus.wordpress.com/2009/01/22/wow-the-impossible-is-now-real/ – escher tricks – but don’t tell them they’ve got to take it from a special angle (LE loved the photos)

Posted April 12, 2011 at 4:39 am | Permalink

Well, as they get bigger, I may be thinking about building a genuine Atlas Shrugged replica train…I might call it the Dave Bath, though, just for old times sake 😉

Mine are still a tiny bit young for mindstorms, although my geek sister will be buying them that soon enough. You should check out Kudo, Dave, it seems pretty cool for kids.