By DeusExMacintosh

Read all about it! Piece of sh*t found in toilet...

The last edition of the News of the World has been published, its front page declaring: “Thank you & goodbye.” In a full-page editorial the paper offers an apology. “Quite simply, we lost our way,” it says.

Publisher News International axed the 168-year-old tabloid in the wake of phone-hacking allegations last week.

Scotland Yard Assistant Commissioner John Yates has expressed “extreme regret” for not reopening the phone hacking investigation two years ago.

In an interview with the Sunday Telegraph, he said he regretted the way he had handled it after reviewing the initial police investigation which led to the conviction of private investigator Glenn Mulcaire in 2007.

Mr Yates said he did not re-examine the 11,000 pages of material recovered from Mulcaire’s home but spent eight hours considering the matter, and consulted the Crown Prosecution Service, but decided there was no likelihood of further convictions.

He said the decision now seemed a “pretty crap one”. Mr Yates admitted the Metropolitan Police’s reputation had been tarnished by the scandal but said he had no intention of resigning.

Rupert Murdoch, whose News Corp business owns the News of the World’s publisher News International, is due to arrive in the UK to take charge of handling the phone-hacking crisis.

BBC News

Rest in peace… preferably in a piece of lead-lined superdense concrete buried at the bottom of the world’s most remotest ocean…

1. Posted July 10, 2011 at 11:12 pm | Permalink

Read All About It… piece of shit found in toilet.

Posted July 11, 2011 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Oh well. Time for a bit of navel gazing

3. Posted July 11, 2011 at 5:35 am | Permalink

Dear kvd… I think you’ve just located this year’s IgNobel…

4. Henry2
    Posted July 11, 2011 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Mmmm,

Thanks DEM and ‘The Jam’. Look at hairstyles when the Battersea Power Station was operating.

At last, this site gives us a chink of light in which to mention the biggest story in this country at the moment.

Its been too long.

Regards, etc

Posted July 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm | Permalink

I’m afraid I’m with Henry2 on this one LE. The time for fence-sitting, and avoiding the discussion is over. Having reviewed the various so-called ‘expert’ opinions, and the contents of my belly button (you won’t believe what I found!) I would like to make my own position clear in the debate.

I say it’s long past time for Warnie to be recalled to the test team – and in fact I’d push for the captaincy. This is a baggy green initiative, which I think would be revenue neutral, once increased gate takings covered his salary. It would also be a much needed boost for out telecommunications industry, and build towards a sustainable future for our boys.

And if he couldn’t inspire a new generation of tweakers, he’d at least be able to assist on the PR front with lessons in txting, tweeting, and hair regrowth – all good fodder for our newspaper hacks. And we’d get our very own Princess thrown in for nix.

As Henry2 says – it’s time you took a stand.

6. Posted July 11, 2011 at 7:17 pm | Permalink

King Solomon’s Mines?

7. Posted July 11, 2011 at 10:07 pm | Permalink

http://www.abc.net.au/science/k2/lint/ (a series of pages with all you need to know about Dr Karl’s IgNobel-Prize-winning belly button fluff survey).

But three-years of collecting your own belly button lint? See the photo. http://idle.slashdot.org/story/09/03/02/1742219/Science-Unlocks-The-Mystery-Of-Belly-Button-Lint

[email protected] : Hilarious – although I’d love to be able to look at all the clues – photo not good enough. The wickedest I’ve seen here are (under the Lib fed gov) “Scandal beat Howard silly” (5,5) = “Wheat Board”; and, best of all for Order In The House fans who knew who the Member for Mayo was… “Angry mayo member acting like transvestite” (5,8) = “Cross dressing”

8. Posted July 12, 2011 at 12:35 am | Permalink

Vengeance via crossword. Only the Brits. Love it.

9. Posted July 13, 2011 at 7:37 pm | Permalink

When was the last time someone closed down a government Department for egregious failure?

10. Posted July 13, 2011 at 9:16 pm | Permalink

Thatcher killed a couple stone dead, IIRC, but not since then in the UK at least. Also, this isn’t just egregious failure, it’s active criminality and perversion of the course of justice. I don’t normally go for ‘lexical priority’ arguments, but I’m reasonably sure the rule of law is pretty close to the primary value in any stable society – Deepak Lal points out that you can have a stable, well governed society that isn’t a democracy, as long as you have the rule of law. Lose the rule of law, and everything else goes down in flames: good, bad and indifferent.

11. Posted July 15, 2011 at 10:20 am | Permalink

[email protected] I take your point, hence the firestorm. Hence also the differentiation from Wikileaks: which was invasion of privacy, but not of the weak and vulnerable and not perversion of justice.