The City Lily

Since getting linked to by three large blogs (Butterflies & Wheels, The Money Illusion and Marginal Revolution), our blog stats have gone up considerably (as in, they’ve doubled), and many of the new people seem to have stayed, at least as lurkers.

With that in mind, it seems like a good idea to revive the Weekend Chit-Chat threads we had to institute last year after this blog’s unfortunate encounter with both footsoldiers and commanding officers in the ongoing gentle macchia battle. This time around, I’ve decided to include some eye- and ear- candy for your delectation. Enjoy the video, and feel free to clink together like ice cubes in the comments. Do drop anything interesting you’ve found on your travels in the thread, so the rest of us get to enjoy them as well!

1. Posted August 26, 2011 at 10:06 pm | Permalink

I’m currently reading about genetic programming and soon will turn to genetic algorithms. Ask me anything folks.

2. Posted August 27, 2011 at 11:54 am | Permalink

LE, if you can round up examples of winning and losing tickets, I could eyeball them manually or unleash a little bit of data mining to deduce a pattern.

3. AJ
    Posted August 27, 2011 at 2:33 pm | Permalink

Apparently, the ABC has a new Australian legal drama set in the DPP. I haven’t seen it, but my lawyer friend who made me aware of its existence was less than impressed with it.

4. Posted August 27, 2011 at 4:21 pm | Permalink

AJ, would that be ‘Crownies’? Has anyone here watched it?

5. Posted August 27, 2011 at 4:40 pm | Permalink

The funniest moment in my Roman law course was Ulpian complaining to his missus about Roman playwrights using legal terminology and legal procedure in their plays and getting it so wrong he couldn’t enjoy the rest of the play.

Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose…

6. Posted August 27, 2011 at 8:24 pm | Permalink

Has anyone here watched it?

Yeah. I’ve been watching the first few episodes. It’s basically the typical drama/soapie with a legal backdrop. I’ve found it somewhat entertaining, although it’s probably got about as much law in it as CSI does science.

Posted August 28, 2011 at 8:57 am | Permalink

I’ve just come back from a wander round my smaller dam. About nine years ago, when we purchased this property, a friend gave me 5 one inch long goldfish as a present. Released into the dam, occasionally seen among the reeds. But every year for the last five or six, when the temperature finally rises after winter, I see the mass orgy (no other way to describe) of hundreds now, of the fish spawning right at the edge. Some are nearly 10 inches nose to tail, and are all the colours except green. It’s a lovely start to Spring, even though it only lasts a day or two.

There you are SL; a comment about sex, with not a sheep in sight 😉 (That was last month, when my five ewes produced three sets of twins between them)

8. Henry2
    Posted August 28, 2011 at 9:19 am | Permalink

KVD,
    I hope those carp can’t get access to the river system in a wet year!

Posted August 28, 2011 at 9:27 am | Permalink

H2, no chance of that, but I do appreciate the point. Unless they evolve into Mexican walking fish with the endurance of Bear Grylls, the world is safe.

10. Posted August 28, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Male garter states engage in warm-up “same sex orgies” when they leave hibernation. As any natural law theorist can tell you, not a proper use of sex and so doesn’t count in understanding the nature and function of sex (“no true Scotsman fallacy” anyone? 🙂 ).

Posted August 28, 2011 at 9:54 am | Permalink

Actually, thinking about past years, I think the fish must have achieved some sort of population plateau in that I think there is no more this year than the past couple. The big ones probably eat the littlies, and then there’s always the resident stork keeping a watchful eye.

Lorenzo, I worry more about the Scottish Trouser Adder – mainly ’cause I’m told they don’t wear any 😉 Or is that another fallacy?

12. Posted August 28, 2011 at 1:38 pm | Permalink

Wow!

I just watched the vid finally. It’s really beautiful. Interesting how it fuses two dreams that are usually in opposition.

Very Japanese. Everything Japanese is very Japanese especially when it tries hard not to be.

13. Posted August 28, 2011 at 8:50 pm | Permalink

As someone living in what is probably the windiest city in Scotland kvd, I can confirm with some confidence that it is NOT a fallacy. Hence the invention of trews which are also legal wear.

14. Chris Bond
    Posted August 28, 2011 at 10:28 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed the Lilium Urbanus clip, one of those little gems that leaves one boggling at human skill / ingenuity / creativity.

[email protected]:
    One heck of a crowd of fish you’ve got there… reminds me of one of my favourite jokes: one red-neck to another (imagine deep-south drawl)… “If I divorce my wife, will she still be my sister?”

15. Chris Bond
    Posted August 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm | Permalink

Oh, and for a bit of gentle humour:
    … enjoy!

16. Posted August 29, 2011 at 10:16 am | Permalink

Jacques – Ask me anything folks.

Okay, what are the limitations to our projected ability to alter our own natures at the molecular level? What are the ‘barriers’ in the field?

17. Posted August 29, 2011 at 10:27 am | Permalink

I’ve seen this video several times, thanks.

The internet popped up just after film school. It was obvious to me then that this would be the eventual future; the films would be personally crafted like ye olde artisans and become much shorter and more esoteric.

There’s a whole global scenery out there. Lots of this stuff out there. Haven’t seen much of it. Hope Joji Tsuruga gets shitloads of work from it.

It’s essentially advertising.

It leans to the pro-technology part of the dreamscape, it sees in the modern urban landscape and all this progress a great natural force.

It’s Utopian: we all benefit, flying out the freeway urethra in our little motorcar spaceships, (Japanese sex maniacs). Naturally I have friends who would be put off the moment the green and brown disappear, others that’d see something holy. These monkeys and their dreaming man, say the other animals, it keeps you awake at night.

18. Posted August 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm | Permalink

It’s a pity the bouncy fox didn’t realise that a trampoline has more ‘bounce’ in the middle.

19. Posted August 29, 2011 at 10:25 pm | Permalink

No idea. I’m studying genetic algorithms, not genetics. Computer programs, not amino acids.

20. Posted August 30, 2011 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Sorry my mistake.

21. AJ
    Posted August 30, 2011 at 1:15 pm | Permalink

The best part of the fox video is 3 seconds in when they both realise something isn’t quite right and turn their heads simultaneously.

22. Mel
    Posted September 1, 2011 at 10:29 am | Permalink

I’m not a feminist but this story about a seriously disgusting advertisement sent my blood pressure through the roof and had me swearing at the computer.

23. Posted September 1, 2011 at 4:55 pm | Permalink

[email protected] Quite so.

24. Posted September 1, 2011 at 7:59 pm | Permalink

Mel, that’s a classic case of ‘what were they thinking?’

Words fail.

25. AJ
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Way more tacky than the ‘ground zero mosque’: http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2011/09/02/gabrielle_giffords_pima_country_republican_party_is_raffling_glo.html

Posted September 3, 2011 at 11:44 am | Permalink

No, that seems way less tacky actually, although I would hope that if anyone had made the connection they wouldn’t have done it!!

27. Henry2
    Posted September 3, 2011 at 3:47 pm | Permalink

32,33,34;

Im not so sure. We come from a country that doesnt have the gun culture that the US has. Indeed the only place that I have seen firearms raffled in Aus is in gun clubs and such. I imagine that firearm raffles may be more common in the US.
    Surely this isnt dissimilar to some politician being run down by BMW and then seeing a BMW being raffled by the boystown lottery. There is surely a disconnect!