Tippers are sexy, you know

… Just sayin’.

I saw this handwritten on a notice stuck to the bar in a pub the other day, and I thought it was pretty good — good enough to steal, anyway.

As many of our readers know, we run advertisements on this blog with a view to paying Jacques for his sterling efforts, covering our hosting costs and buying us the occasional meal out. We had grand visions at one point of being able to give our guest posters something for their contributions — even if it were only in kind, like a bottle of wine. However, it seems that as a result of the stoush that our broker got into in January/February last year, our advertising revenue is not going to recover — at least not for the foreseeable. That doesn’t mean it won’t, ever, just that it has been negligible for a year now and there is nothing on the horizon that looks like we are going to buck that trend.

This means that we’ll be doing the occasional call for donations like this one, rather than relying on the (basically non-existent) advertising revenue, all the while hoping that the advertising will come good eventually. I realise that ‘hit the tip jar, please’ posts are characteristic of other blogs, and we’d hoped to avoid them here. I also have to admit writing this right now feels incredibly naff, and it’s taken me a week to muster up the courage to do it. I’d promised Legal Eagle and DEM last week that I’d do a donations post… and then sat on my hands just feeling, well, awkward.

We can’t offer you any nice incentives, like making your donations tax deductible or providing mugs or shirts or anything like that (I know some blogs do, through companies like CafePress, but it never seemed quite our thing). We think our lawyer-eagle is pretty cool, but perhaps not on a mug. Definitely not on a mug.

So, if you like what we do, please feel free to swing by and drop some money in the tip jar. If you wish to be immortalized (either anonymously or not), let us know, although the trend seems to be away from any sort of disclosure. Whatever you prefer, we’ll be enormously grateful (we always remember who gave us money, believe me!).

In the meantime, we’ll do our best to keep providing the best content we can, from our varying perspectives.

1. Paul
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 7:23 am | Permalink

There’s no sexy tippers pic!

2. Posted February 21, 2012 at 7:31 am | Permalink

Damn, should have thought of that…

Posted February 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm | Permalink

Paul if you are into sideways then this could be for you. A sturdy and reliable product from Lusty, who also have a great line in dollies and Stag B Doubles. nttawwt

Posted February 21, 2012 at 2:12 pm | Permalink

Now that I’ve got that (un)natural tendency to treat most everything as a joke out of my system, what I’d really like to comment upon is the weird reticence of SL’s post – where even acknowledging that anyone might get any value at all from the hours (yes, sometimes hours) of thought and evaluation quite evident in the posts on this blog is somehow ‘naff’.

I know I can be old fashioned sometimes, but I gave up many years ago any diffidence in politely asking that I be paid fair ‘wages’ for (more than) fair work. And that’s what this blog is – work. That it might be – to use yet another overworked phrase – a labour of love is beside the point. I used to get a high just from reducing 100 lines of computer code to 35 reuseable – but I never hesitated to walk away from potential clients who sought to undervalue/devalue my work. Their loss not mine.

This blog is worth more than a cup of coffee per week; which means it is worth more than $4 per week to me personally. I support its thoughtful authors; am not suggesting I agree with all or any post – but am suggesting the ‘hit’ is way more worth one cup of caffeine a week.

One suggestion I would put forward: the site should have an Amazon link somewhere prominent. This costs your readers absolutely nothing, but they might get a small satisfaction in knowing that anything they spend through this sitelink buys you a cup of coffee, every time they use Amazon.

Also there’s another thing: I’d love an SL t-shirt. I think it’s way cool. So maybe just put me down as totally disagreeing with SL’s post ๐Ÿ˜‰

5. Ripples
    Posted February 21, 2012 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

This reminds me I really need to get paypal organised.

Well played KVD, well played ๐Ÿ˜‰

Posted February 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Ripples, the thing is I followed up with a perfectly reasonable comment which has disappeared. I mean, I could have referred to Body & Dog, and Multi Loaders, but I thought the children might be reading, so tried to turn to more sensible comment.

Anyway now I’m thinking ‘naff’ is maybe a banned word? I guess we’ll see

7. Posted February 21, 2012 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Sorry, kvd, the spammer ate your comment. I had to fish it out of two lots of bins – first the spam, then the mod queue.

8. Posted February 21, 2012 at 3:41 pm | Permalink

In light of kvd’s (reinstated) comment, I’ll loudly point out that only one person has donated since this post went up!

Posted February 21, 2012 at 3:57 pm | Permalink

“Loudly” is a start SL – and much less that your due, imo. But if that don’t work you could always threaten us with one of these.

Really, that site is quite, quite disgusting. I’m off to report it to somewhere, and thence to your tip jar. But do please consider the A— link thing.

10. Posted February 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm | Permalink

I don’t know how to do the Amazon link thingy – maybe Jacques can advise.

And thanks, kvd – and I hope more people follow your tipping example ๐Ÿ˜‰

11. Posted February 21, 2012 at 6:17 pm | Permalink

I suspect that donation will be dwarfed by the HECS debt I’m incurring as a result of being inspired to study law. If only a Bachelor of Commenting from SkepticLawyer university were as widely recognised.

An Amazon link could be a good idea, particularly if coupled with book recommendations. I also wonder how well wearing a SkepticLawyer t-shirt would be received in my university classes.

12. Posted February 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm | Permalink

Desipis is also in the running for winning the internetz today.

13. Posted February 22, 2012 at 6:03 am | Permalink

Maybe the mug is a better idea than I thought.

Nice, blue, decorative mug. I’m thinking of all the law fair mugs I’ve collected over the years.

14. Jacques Chester
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 8:26 am | Permalink

A lot of sites make money from Amazon affiliate links — essentially when you link to a book, you append a little code that says “this visitor came from skepticlawyer”. Then, if they buy any books during that visit (not just the one you linked), you get a small kickback.

My favourite version of this approach is Mark Dominus, who gives both kickback and non-kickback versions of links (here’s an example). His openness on the matter has inclined me to use the kickback links in the past.

15. Jacques Chester
    Posted February 22, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

As for the more general problem of solving paying for this sort of website, I’m working on commercialising my honours project which was on the technical details of just such a scheme. My intention is to launch it within the Ozblogistan network during the year, but right now I don’t know when exactly.

16. Posted February 22, 2012 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Jacques, when it comes to setting up the links, just do whatever you think is best, but remember it needs to be very easy if I am to use it — if I have to do two of everything, I won’t bother (and may not even be able to make them work at all).

I do remember trying to set them up for Catallaxy, but was defeated by my technical incompetence.