No Clean Feed - Stop Internet Censorship in Australia

The Artless Dodger

By DeusExMacintosh

Comedian Jimmy Carr admits "terrible error" with tax scheme

Comedian Jimmy Carr says he has “made a terrible error of judgement” over using a tax avoidance scheme.

In a statement on his Twitter account, Mr Carr said he was no longer involved in the K2 tax shelter.

Prime Minister David Cameron on Wednesday called Mr Carr’s use of the scheme “morally wrong”.

The tax scheme is a way of lowering the amount of tax paid. It is legal and Mr Carr made clear in his statement it was fully disclosed to HMRC.

In a series of messages on Twitter Mr Carr said: “I appreciate as a comedian, people will expect me to ‘make light’ of this situation, but I’m not going to in this statement.

“As this is obviously a serious matter. I met with a financial advisor and he said to me ‘Do you want to pay less tax? It’s totally legal’. I said ‘Yes’.”

“I now realise I’ve made a terrible error of judgement.

“Although I’ve been advised the K2 Tax scheme is entirely legal, and has been fully disclosed to HMRC (Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs).

“I’m no longer involved in it and will in future conduct my financial affairs much more responsibly. Apologies to everyone. Jimmy Carr.”

More than 1,000 people, including Mr Carr, are thought to be using the Jersey-based K2 scheme, which is said to be sheltering £168m a year from the Treasury.

- BBC News

Posted June 21, 2012 at 6:21 pm | Permalink

Or as his accountant was heard to say “I think I’ve found a work around but it’ll be a bit rough and ready until I can get proper repairs. {mutters}”

You didn’t mention DC’s farsighted family. But whateveranyway, DEMonstration of skillz undiminished!

2. Posted June 21, 2012 at 6:54 pm | Permalink

Yes, I thought the DC quip was somewhat pots vs kettles (and I really believe that the Chancellor’s inherited stake of the Osborne & Little decorating empire is genuinely valueless). Having listened at some length – some considerable length – to SL decrying the immorality of even the existence of income tax I’m really not sure morals apply to any part of the tax system, whether enforcement or evasion.

3. Posted June 22, 2012 at 4:08 am | Permalink

Australian readers may not be aware that Jimmy Carr is a leftie Guardianista, so this amounts to a classic exposure of hypocrisy. The left has money scandals and the social conservatives have sex scandals. There’s got to be some weird psychological reason for that…

4. Posted June 22, 2012 at 4:17 am | Permalink

SL@3 They have scandals about whatever they are repressed about.

5. Posted June 22, 2012 at 4:22 am | Permalink

There’s a surprisingly good piece about the Jimmy Carr issue in the Guardian, of all places:

6. Posted June 23, 2012 at 8:39 pm | Permalink

SL@3 – Psychological reasons, probably. Possibly also something to do with what bothers the less hypocritical members of the circles of the central players – word getting out.

Mind you, here it’s a member of the Australian Labor Party in a scandal with claims of misappropriation of money to pay for prostitutes, another indication the two major parties are nearly identical, combining the worst of both sides, in both policy and peccadilloes.