Obligations VI and photos

As some of you might have noticed, I’ve been scarce over the last few weeks. This is because I went to London, Ontario to attend the Obligations VI conference (which covers private law: contract, tort, unjust enrichment, property, trusts, equity etc). The theme of the conference was “Challenging Orthodoxy”. If you know anything about legal academics, you’ll know that we weren’t too shy to rise to that particular challenge! Naturally I presented a paper based on the work I’d done in my book, with some updated content. It was a good conference. I enjoyed all of the presentations I saw, and I got to catch up with a lot of academic friends whom I only see at these conferences. I refer to and repeat my comments about private law made in the wake of the Obligations IV conference: private law oils the wheels of society. It is really important that our private law operate justly in order for our society to run fairly and smoothly.

Here’s my photo of the place where we were staying. It was really hot in Canada (something I didn’t quite expect) but the grounds were lovely.

I went exploring in the woods around. I noted that they looked oddly like the kind of woods that form alien planets in the Stargate TV series (hmm, I’m guessing that’s filmed in Canada).

Yeah, that last one is a rather blurry photo of a wild turkey, which really did say gobble gobble as it skedaddled away (much to my delight).

A bunch of us also braved the drive to Niagara Falls. Kudos to our Anglo-Australian driver who never once strayed near the wrong side of the road (and I’m glad it was he who was driving, not I). It was 38 degrees C, and boiling hot, so the spray from the falls was welcome. I don’t know if this video of water going over the edge of Niagara will work, but if it does, please do take a look – it’s simply hypnotic. [Update: click on the hyperlink, then click on the Niagara.mov hyperlink and you will see it.]

Update: Edited to add this gem from Lorenzo:

1. Posted July 30, 2012 at 4:38 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on presentation, hard work, the catching up, the wildlife, the ICONIC waterfall experience and thanks for sharing, but … but dear Lawyer you must never be skeptical about that saying BEARS ARE IN THE WOODS. I am so glad you have not posted a bear photo. The best one you get is the one right before the bear rearranges your major organ.

2. Posted July 30, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

Try the other end of the season! I’ve been to Niagara when some water was going over, but there was ice everywhere, and the spray turned to ice as soon as it hit anything. I’ve never been so cold. But it was an awe-inspiring sight then, too.

3. Posted July 30, 2012 at 6:26 pm | Permalink

Continental climate: it goes to the extremes.

On bears, there is a Microeconomics I joke that goes like this:
    Two guys run into an angry bear.
    The first starts running.
    The second says, “You’ll never out run it”
    The first replies, “No, but I might outrun you”.

Thus is the concept of incentives made vivid 🙂

Welcome back and nice pics.

4. Posted July 30, 2012 at 7:55 pm | Permalink

LE, welcome back. I get the impression that a picture (or video) cannot do justice to the awesomeness of the falls. I’m surprised to see a temperature of 38 in Canada, although I suppose it wouldn’t be as relentless as the heat we get here in Queensland.

5. Posted July 30, 2012 at 7:57 pm | Permalink

[email protected], so is that what they mean by a bear market? 😛

6. Posted July 30, 2012 at 8:54 pm | Permalink

Yes indeed, the Stargate series was filmed in Canada, though it always gave the impression of being a lot cooler than it was at Obligations 6. Contrast Farscape, which was filmed in Oz, hence the sun-drenched planets the plots are always set in. I’m still waiting for a decent Irish setting for a scifi film, presumably involving planets with a lot of rain, green grass, and cows.

7. Posted July 30, 2012 at 9:07 pm | Permalink

[email protected] Only the fleet footed survive, so I guess yes 🙂

8. Ripples
    Posted July 31, 2012 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Is it me of does the turkey picture look like a tiny dinosaur?

9. Posted July 31, 2012 at 5:42 pm | Permalink

The turkey looks rather like the ones we get around UQ, except without the red head. Although I don’t recall ours going ‘gobble gobble’.

10. Posted July 31, 2012 at 8:09 pm | Permalink

“No pictures! I said – NO PICTURES!”

11. Ripples
    Posted August 1, 2012 at 8:28 am | Permalink

Thanks for the clarification LE, I was starting to worry I had been dealing with too many cryptozoologists of late and was starting to suffer from paradolia.

Or maybe thats actually a picture of a very young Lockness monster in the wilds of alien Canada and it cleverly went Gobble Gobble to mislead you.

12. Posted August 5, 2012 at 11:36 pm | Permalink

How about this site? It’s not quite “Wild Turkeys”, but it seems to be going in the right direction.

Hungover Owls