No Clean Feed - Stop Internet Censorship in Australia

‘That’s what the faeries sent you’

The above was an oft-repeated observation of my mother’s, whenever some of what a Buddhist would probably consider karma landed in my lap after I’d been a bit of a shit. Among Europeans, the phrase (and the reaction) seems to be commoner in Celtic cultures, although I’m sure it has its residues elsewhere. To that end, I’m going to share the best Christmas themed advert EVAH. Makes more sense if you’re Scottish, of course, but also has the virtue of explaining to people outside Scotland that it is possible even for advertising to have a hard edge.

A widely read friend also maintains that it will make perfect sense to readers of Val McDermid, Ian Rankin, etc.

And also: that’s what the faeries sent you.

Merry Christmas, everyone.

1. Posted December 24, 2012 at 3:35 pm | Permalink

Great ad :) Merry Yule to all from warm-but-rainy Sydney :)

Posted December 25, 2012 at 2:45 am | Permalink

My compliments to all this day wherever you are, and my thanks to the contributors and commenters for making life more interesting for this old dog. May you all prosper.

3. Posted December 25, 2012 at 4:01 am | Permalink

Merry Christmas all!

4. Posted December 25, 2012 at 7:39 am | Permalink

Thanks all: now for a wee bit of history and context for the festivities (the first of two times in my life I’ve been paid handsomely for a classics major): http://skepticlawyer.com.au/2006/12/19/so-this-is-christmas/

5. John H.
    Posted December 28, 2012 at 2:51 pm | Permalink

Thanks for all the great posts and comments over the year everybody. I would like to participate more but the subjects are often beyond my knowledge. All the best for the coming year.

6. Posted December 31, 2012 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

This post on the macroeconomics of Middle Earth is fantastic. :)

7. Posted December 31, 2012 at 2:40 pm | Permalink

Or this post on the role of Dwarves in Middle Earth monetary policy.