No Clean Feed - Stop Internet Censorship in Australia

The werewolf is cuter than the vampire

By Lorenzo

As readers are aware, I am not a fan of the Twlight phenomenon in any form. But one thing has become obvious even to a militant non-fan such as myself. The consensus is clear, the werewolf is cuter than the vampire.

twilight-saga--new-moon-wallpapers_14244_1280x800

Out there in the naughty image blogosphere, there are remarkably few pictures of Edward Cullen. Jacob the werewolf, however, is clearly very popular, even omnipresent, in slash/fake celeb picture realm.

For those not-in-the-know, slash fiction is erotic writing pairing male heroes, or heroes-and-villians–Spock/Kirk, Bodie/Doyle, Harry/Snape, etc; it has its pictorial equivalent. The written version is dominated by women, the pictorial version has a higher male fanbase, as one would expect. Supernaturalwhich has inspired its own slash subgenre of Wincest–even included a scene commenting on slash. (Supernatural can have its moments, including a lot of fun with the couple line.)

One of the fun features in looking at religious art is decoding the (pretty thinly disguised) queer subtext that turns up here and there. Film poster art often begs to be decoded, in all sorts of ways. So, decode this Twilight movie poster.

This is also the Saturday chit-chat post.

1. David J H
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Um, script writers testing the limits of legality – or morality?

2. David J H
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

(yer, whoops; watch “Silk” on TV).

3. Marlowe
    Posted March 2, 2013 at 11:43 pm | Permalink

If you’re looking at it in a slash context, I’d say it’s depicting an “OT3″. ;P

4. Miranda
    Posted March 3, 2013 at 7:35 am | Permalink

I’m Old Skool – I’ll take Bodie/Doyle over these punks any day! On topic, frenemy could be a useful term for the Jacob/Edward arm of the triad. I can’t tell for certain because I’ve never read the books and have only seen the first movie (on a plane). But that’s what that poster says to me :)

Posted March 5, 2013 at 11:17 am | Permalink

Anyboy else watching House of Cards, Final cut? Sort of ‘Yes, Prime Minister’ on aggressive steroids, and quite the best thing I’ve seen forever. Those following GOT would probably like it, if you are ‘into’ politics; same quite excellent production values imo..

Werewolf/Vamps. Google search for ‘cute’ pics would suggest you are wrong Lorenzo.

6. John H.
    Posted March 5, 2013 at 5:40 pm | Permalink

Professor Sinclair Davidson(RMIT) and Plagiarism

7. Posted March 5, 2013 at 6:23 pm | Permalink

John H, that’s just Catallaxy showing its purpose as a propaganda machine rather than an intellectual endeavour. It is the natural consequence from a primary argumentation style of repeat, repeat, repeat.

8. John H.
    Posted March 5, 2013 at 9:15 pm | Permalink

It wasn’t always like that Desipis but times have changed. Tis a shame. I would appreciate any insights into the following review I wrote because Dr. Healy raises some very troubling questions about the practice of modern psychiatry
    The Creation of Psychopharmacology – David Healy(Review)

9. Mel
    Posted March 6, 2013 at 12:09 am | Permalink

Read your post with interest John H but like most people I don’t know enough about the subject to make a useful comment other than to say that your proposed Night of the Long Knives would undoubtedly do more harm than good. For starters, Big Pharma would simply vacate psychopharma for gentler, more friendly waters and no-one with any sense would ever want to risk going into psychiatry.

How can I be sure you aren’t in receipt of secret commissions from Big Lawyers? ;)

10. John H.
    Posted March 6, 2013 at 12:42 am | Permalink

Big Pharma is already vacating psychiatry, that may prove to be the best thing to happen in psychiatry for a long time. With a few friends I am currently exploring something that has long been known and but largely neglected: the association between psychosis and inflammation. The literature now is addressing this issue with a vengeance and with good reason: the existing paradigm: all about brain chemicals, obviously isn’t working.

I suspect Big Pharma already has all the Big Lawyers on commission. :D

Posted March 6, 2013 at 4:49 am | Permalink

JH@6 that’s an interesting Cat read; first time I’ve been over there for months, and I must say the comments are remarkably polite compared to some earlier posts which turned me off.

Probably just the way my mind works, but it made me wonder if, in law, it is possible for one ‘screen name’ to be sued for defamation by another ‘screen name’? To be clear, I’m not thinking of Legal Eagle whose real name is open and available to all – more rather the case where that malicious fool kvd defames desipis. IOW two basically anonymous posters having a stoush which escalates. Could desipis sue kvd for defamation?

ps re plagiarism: all of the above words are lifted without reference from the OED.

12. Posted March 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm | Permalink

John H, yes, I’m aware Catallaxy apparently had a brighter past. I’ve seen a number of bloggers that have been around longer than I have refer to it as if it was a place to have a decent discussion. However, when I look at the site today I see four (out of ten) posts on the front page that focus on or mention the Gillard’s comments on 457 visas. None of these contain any substantive discussion of the matter but instead seem to just cast political aspersions such as linking Gillard to Pauline Hanson. That’s an example of why it seem to me that the site just picks up the latest Collation talking points and runs with them. That’s not to say there aren’t interesting posts from time to time.

As for your pyschopharmacology post, I have similar views to Mel and don’t have much to add. There are definitely some concerning outcomes in terms of the rapid increase in use of drugs to treat mental illness, as well as the relationship between Big Pharma and doctors. I would be hesitant to make a presumption of blame on any individuals though. It may be systemic factors that pressure people to collectively behave unethically, which they may individually acting to such effect unintentionally or unknowingly. As for alternatives to drugs, from what I have learned I would think that much more emphasis should be placed on environmental and lifestyle factors, rather than looking for either a physiological or chemical cause (and hence treatment) for the illness.

13. John H.
    Posted March 6, 2013 at 2:15 pm | Permalink

You nailed that! Here is what a friend of mine posted on a related blog post of mine:

Others have also explored the common factors of successful therapeutic interventions.

<blockquote>Asay and Lambert (1999) get deeply into a meta-analysis in this area and conclude that technique ranks a dismal 4th (equal with placebo effects) when measuring the effects of therapy. “Extratherapeutic factors” like lifestyle changes and social support comes first (40%), relationship with the therapist is 2nd (30%), and technique accounts for only 15% of change

The Cat. Yeah I agree but I want to let that go. I was angry yesterday because I was treated with contempt for going against the tribal thrust. What really disappoints me is that I like some libertarian ideas and The Cat used to promote some of those ideas very well. I wish Australian libertarians had remained separate from the conservatives and paved their own road but they seem to have jumped on the conservative road train for an easy ride. Let’s forget The Cat. Thanks anyway.

14. John H.
    Posted March 6, 2013 at 11:54 pm | Permalink

German Shepherd saves French woman from killing herself

Go on, try and find an alternate explanation. And after you’ve done that, read “The Age of Empathy” by Frans de Waal. Animals have much more consciousness than we think, or at least others think. Not me, I’ve read the book. It is a great book, it challenges so many of our assumptions about the inner life of animals. For myself at least it also raises some very uncomfortable questions about how we treat animals.

15. Posted March 15, 2013 at 10:04 am | Permalink

I’m extremely disappointed in what looks to be a tribal response to the governments threat to free speech. Each time we log onto this site we are reminded of the need to beware of censorship via the red tab in the top right hand corner yet the response of the left to this recent example of censorship is deafening in its silence.
    When considering a policy I like to try to imagine my response to the other side of politics bringing in a similar or comparable or contrary policy to gauge the reasonableness of said policy. It is a way to remove the blinkers imposed by assuredness that my own side is right.

The left tribe must be incapable of such a level of imagination or they would be howling about the censorship with the right.

16. Mel
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 12:35 pm | Permalink

I’ve thought more on JH’s critique of Big Pharma and now have this to say:

1/ Over the years I’ve known numerous folk who’ve taken psych drugs for depression, anxiety etc.. My understanding is that there are many drugs out there and that it can be a tedious and lengthy process to get the “best fit” for an individual in terms of drug plus dosage.

2/ Because of 1. above, the studies that show that pysch drugs have minimal impact cf. placebo may be misleading since persons on the drug regime may not be on the best fit regime. AIUI, psych drugs are often prescribed by time-pressed GPs and then rarely if ever reviewed.

John H, what do you think?

17. John H.
    Posted March 17, 2013 at 3:40 pm | Permalink

Mel

Makes sense to me. The latest studies on antidepressants are very depressing because it looks like we’ve all been conned by Big Pharma. The serotonin-depression linkage was a product of Big Pharma, not good science and is now rejected. Nonetheless if you look at the chemistry of the newer antidepressants it is possible to create analyses that help explain why these drugs do help at least some people.

Strange you should raise this today because only yesterday I did read:

Psychiatrists Top List of Big Pharma Payments Again

Once again, psychiatrists top the updated Dollars for Docs list of large payments from pharmaceutical companies to individual US clinicians.

On March 12, the investigative journalism group ProPublica released the names of the 22 physicians who, since 2009, received more than $500,000 from these companies in speaking and consulting fees. Mirroring the organization’s first report released in 2010, psychiatrists dominate the list.

By the way Mel, being the natural earth sort of bloke that you are, I wonder if you have ever looked at the issue of body grounding. Lately I’ve read a few studies on this and have become intrigued by the idea that we need to literally keep in touch with the earth because it is an important source of free electrons. I know it sounds weird dude but it doesn’t contradict any physiological ideas and there are a number of studies out there demonstrating benefits. Long story, I’m still learning about it all, but it seems to me that we should be literally touching the earth every day so as to soak up free electrons.

18. Posted March 17, 2013 at 4:45 pm | Permalink

John H, that sure as hell sets off my ‘pseudo-science bullshit’ alarm (this is site is SkepticLawyer after all). While the human body can build up a static charge, this is readily discharged before it builds up to any real significance. Such a minor change in the quantity of free electrons in the body is not likely going to affect biochemical processes.

Further, discharging does not require direct contact with the ground, any time you touch any object (or person) your charge will balance with it and you will absorb ‘free electrons’ from it. Where the object has sufficient conductance this will occur rapidly and be experienced as a zap. Touching metal objects such as taps or poles that are earthed themselves is as effective as touching the ground for yourself.

I’d say it’s much more likely the sensory experience of going barefoot is simply causing some sort of placebo effect.

19. John H.
    Posted March 18, 2013 at 7:55 am | Permalink

Niot sure desipis, there are some interesting studies on this and it does open a door to explaining why ECT and pulsed magnetic fields can be so important for some neurological disorders.

20. Posted March 18, 2013 at 12:21 pm | Permalink

Except both of those treatments utilise dynamic fields that induce currents inside the brain, significant enough to cause neurons to fire. This is in direct contrast to static fields which don’t induce electrical currents. Even when discharging static electricity, the current will be on the surface of your body and not within the brain. They’re fundamentally different physical phenomenon.

21. Mel
    Posted March 19, 2013 at 9:02 pm | Permalink

John H, the body grounding theory trips my bullshit detector.

I have a strong affinity for nature, live in the bush and spend a great deal of time planting, bird watching etc but I am also a man of science and a natural born skeptic. I would blow my brains out if I had to live in the city again but that’s just me.

The Big Pharma/ Doctor link sounds like a genuine problem but I’m nonetheless convinced by my observations and experience that little pills can work miracles.

AS to ECT all I’ll say is that when I experience a bout of depression I almost always get the flu or a severe cold and this physical shock breaks the depression. I imagine belting a depressed person with a hammer may in some cases prove similarly therapeutic.

22. Posted March 20, 2013 at 12:03 pm | Permalink

LE @ 17:

As you know, I’m interested but not a tragic.

Nevertheless sufficiently interested to point out the special leave application transcript here.

You’ll see that the appellants (the Banks) are not appealing their liability under the Bankruptcy Act (they were lumped with this on a cross-appeal in the Court of Appeal) but they are attacking the finding of breach of fiduciary duty and the basis on which equitable compensation was ordered – these are the big ticket items. The respondents will be contending for previously rejected claims made by them in relation to equitable fraud, amongst other things. This is a case which will repay reading of the appeal materials once they go up.

23. John H.
    Posted March 20, 2013 at 3:08 pm | Permalink

John H, the body grounding theory trips my bullshit detector.

Yeah I checked my references on that, not so good …

24. Mel
    Posted March 21, 2013 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

This blog appears to be dying a slow death. Hello, is anyone out there! SL, Lorenzo, have you guys eloped?

Posted March 22, 2013 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

Mel@26 maybe it’s a Motown thing. Anyway, I hope so.

26. Mel
    Posted March 22, 2013 at 10:22 pm | Permalink

Last I heard, SL and Lorenzo were seen paddling a canoe up the Amazon River.

27. Posted March 23, 2013 at 10:51 am | Permalink

Its probably just rumour that DEM and LE were behind the Crean moves on Thursday.

28. Posted March 23, 2013 at 11:50 am | Permalink

Muddling in the affairs of the ALP does seem a bit below them given they’re busy running the shadow papacy.

29. Mel
    Posted March 23, 2013 at 6:27 pm | Permalink

What’s happened to SL? Does anyone know?

30. Posted March 23, 2013 at 8:13 pm | Permalink

kvd@5 The cute pics typically have the female love interest with vampire love interest. It is the pairing which is “cute”, not the vampire.

H2@15 It is a brain space problem: to comment intelligently, I would have to do a lot of reading of the relevant public policy documents rather off topic from what I am presently concentrating on.

31. RipleyP
    Posted March 26, 2013 at 12:40 pm | Permalink

I feel bad that I have been too busy of late to be a good and loyal reader of the blog. I do hope my busy reduces and also that of the most excellent writers here so we can all just get back to normal (insert preferred definition of normal)

Twilight for me has been one those very important stories that has had philosophers pondering through the ages, which to choose, Necrophilia or Bestiality?