Fandom

By Lorenzo

Wandering around YouTube I discovered, via a very funny excerpt below from The Graham Norton Show, that fans of Chris Pine (the new Capt. Kirk), are called Pine Nuts. And that fans of Benedict Cumberbatch (Pitt the Younger, Sherlock Holmes, the new Khan) are called Cumberbitches.

I tend to be a fan of shows and writers or directors rather than actors as such. I have been sucked into Teen Wolf fandom (in a passive, online sort of way). Indeed, it was online fandom which made me aware of the show in the first place.

Fandom is big business nowadays. Big name actors turn up to major events, such as Comic-Con. Such as this heaps of fun appearance of Loki (aka Tom Hiddleston).

The best fan comment I know of is the anonymous attendee whose response to encountering Hugh Jackman wandering around a recent Comic-Con dressed as Wolverine was “Whoa. Way too tall buddy.”  Which, of course, he is, since Wolverine in the comics is a short dude and Hugh Jackman so isn’t.

But who cares? He’s a great Wolverine. (And I will confess to being a Bryan Singer fan.)

So, what fandom grabs you?

(This is also the Saturday chit-chat post.)

1. Posted August 4, 2013 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Lorenzo I love your typo ‘wondering around a Comic-Con’.

I spend a lot of time wondering around the house these days 🙂

Posted August 5, 2013 at 4:23 am | Permalink

Dunno if it qualifies as fandom but I’ve had some sort of weird compulsion to follow the drawn-out revelation of the next Dr Who. And also, +1 for TimT’s comment.

3. Mel
    Posted August 5, 2013 at 8:01 pm | Permalink

Lol. I just found out about New Zealand’s “leaky house crisis”.

Apparently New Zealand took Lorenzo’s deregulatory nonsense with respect to building and planning laws seriously, with the result that over 40,000 leaky homes resulting in an NZ$11.3 billion repair bill.

When the redtape was loosened, NZ builders built dodgy homes that would begin falling apart almost immediately and the apprentice system fell apart.

Trust market forces, my privileged white arse.

4. Posted August 6, 2013 at 4:16 pm | Permalink

[email protected] Thanks, fixed.

[email protected] Dr Who is iconic, interest is understandable 🙂

[email protected] Since about a third of the liability rests on local authorities, it is a lot more complicated than just “deregulation”. And my argument about land use is for a rules-based system rather than official discretions. That issue is not “de-regulation”. It also has nothing to do with housing quality control as such.

Generally, laws/regulation which reduce transaction costs are good and those which raise them a prima facie not. Whoever designed the NZ regulations does not seem to have understood asymmetric information problems. And ended up raising transaction costs, not lowering them.

5. Mel
    Posted August 6, 2013 at 5:54 pm | Permalink

[email protected] Since about a third of the liability rests on local authorities, it is a lot more complicated than just “deregulation”.”

Bull shit. Local govt authorities didn’t properly enforce what little regulation actually remained. In other words this was de facto deregulation on top of the official legislative deregulation.

6. Posted August 6, 2013 at 6:04 pm | Permalink

[email protected] What rules can work if they are not enforced? I suspose there is a sense in which that is “deregulation”, but it is a sense which can operate no matter what the level of regulation notionally is.

7. Posted August 8, 2013 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Kenyan Man Tries to Overturn the Death Sentence of Jesus Christ

8. Posted August 8, 2013 at 10:13 am | Permalink

[email protected] Yes, well, I would have thought jurisdictional problems would have been fatal to his legal chances. Besides, consider the legal can of worms it would open …

Posted August 8, 2013 at 4:31 pm | Permalink

[email protected] at 2000+ years He’s had a good innings, even without the (dis)advantage of DRS. And staying with that – maybe He just should’ve adopted the W.G.Grace position: “the people have come to see me bat, not you bowl”?