So long, thanks for all the fish from Legal Eagle…

I’m writing to say a sad but fond farewell to you all at Skepticlawyer. I haven’t been about at all for the last year or so. I have found that full time work and raising two young kids have left very little time and energy left for much else. In addition, I have continued to suffer from severe asthma attacks and chest infections at regular intervals since I first had pneumonia in 2009. I need to take care of myself, and that means cutting down on commitments.

I would like to say a special thank you to ‘Skepticlawyer’ herself, Helen Dale, for inviting me to join her in 2008. She has been a loyal and good friend, and has widened my horizons with her broad knowledge and her interesting points of view. I have learned a lot from her.

Also thank you to the lovely and witty DEM who also became a good and true friend after joining the blog as cartoonist in 2009.

M-H joined us briefly before she was caught up in PhD writing (I know exactly how that feels) but I also enjoyed her posts and her knitting.

Lorenzo joined Skepticlawyer later. He has been a tower of strength, keeping this blog alive over the last year, aided by a generous sprinkling of DEM’s cartoons. I wish to pay tribute to his hard work, deep learning and awesome knowledge of all kinds of tv shows and medieval facts!

Finally, thank you to our readers and to my friends (on blog and off blog).

I wish you all the best.

Posted January 31, 2014 at 6:39 am | Permalink

Well now, that is a very sad thing, but completely understandable on your part LE. I hope your health, which when you get right down to it is of paramount importance, will improve, and rapidly so.

You, and the other contributors you mention, have my gratitude and admiration for providing free gratis a blog of note, and a blog always conducted in a way which reflects your openness, honesty, and downright decency; qualities which I admire in each and every one of you. I thank you each for that, and wish only for your continuing success in whatever each of you choose to pursue.

2. Posted January 31, 2014 at 7:40 am | Permalink

LE – Thanks for long ago putting me in your links list. I’m glad I now know you in the real world.

3. Posted January 31, 2014 at 7:42 am | Permalink

Take care LE! Thanks for the great blogging!

4. Nick Ferrett
    Posted January 31, 2014 at 9:13 am | Permalink

Completely understandable but an occasion for sadness nonetheless. I’m a big fan of your scholarship and your style of writing, so I’ll just have to go looking for your articles.

Cheers

NHF

5. Posted January 31, 2014 at 9:38 am | Permalink

All the best, LE. You don’t realise how important good health is until you don’t have it, and then wonder why you took it for granted. Every good wish.

Don

6. Posted January 31, 2014 at 1:16 pm | Permalink

Likewise, my best wishes. I hope your health improves, that all goes well with your career and family responsibilities, and that a time comes round when you can get back to things like blogging. Your contributions here were much appreciated.

7. Posted January 31, 2014 at 6:46 pm | Permalink

I’ve enjoyed your thoughtful and entertaining contributions, and hope to again once your health and situation improve. All the very best, Julian

8. Mel
    Posted January 31, 2014 at 10:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks for everything you’ve taught me, LE.

May Gaia cure you of your ailments, or at the very least fill you with Ale.

Kisses and hugs.

Steve

9. Posted February 1, 2014 at 7:12 am | Permalink

Thank you for some of the most interesting and challenging posts on this blog LE. I will continue to read back from time to time to regather some of your wisdom.
    Absolutely best wishes on everything you choose to do in the future.

10. Movius
    Posted February 1, 2014 at 9:10 pm | Permalink

I really enjoyed reading your work. It’s a shame to see you go but health comes first of course. Hope things improve in the near future.

11. derrida derider
    Posted February 2, 2014 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

LE, thank you for your posts – we’ll all miss them.

It’s completely understandable that you’re leaving, but I really do hope you’ll still find time to pop in on a comments thread or two from time to time (commenting is a LOT quicker and easier than posting because you don’t have to think so much before spouting off 🙂 )

12. Jolly
    Posted February 3, 2014 at 7:21 am | Permalink

LE, good luck and take care of your self. I too had pneumonia in 2010 (protracted ICU stay) but had a faster and better after care result (not because of our traditional western medical attention; full of potent drugs and X-rays)) but via Dr Peter Eng (03 – 9682 3966) who focused on boosting my immune system through specific supplements. He send me for blood tests of all kinds before attempting any treatment. His policy is prevention. Just sharing my experience. I saw Dr Eng because of a friend’s recommendation. He is a specialist and is a bit expensive.
    Good luck and many thanks.

13. Posted February 3, 2014 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Goodness, the lung stuff sounds terrible, LE. Please take care of yourself and recover fully! I’ll miss you.

14. Adrien
    Posted February 24, 2014 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Sad to read this. I do hope you’ll return at some point when there’s not so much stress.

15. Jarrah
    Posted March 19, 2014 at 3:10 pm | Permalink

All good things come to an end, I’m sorry I am only learning of this now. I will miss your insight. May your lungs stay strong forever!