Introducing Chris Berg’s artwork

airportwilderness.gifEver since Jason drew my attention to Chris Berg’s site, I’ve been checking in regularly. Although I’ve been reading Chris’ thoughtful stuff for a while, what really drew me to his site was his interesting and off-beat artwork. Although he describes his art as ‘more of a hobby’, he has had a few exhibitions here and there, and often needs ‘just a little push’ to get him feeling creative.

With that knowledge in hand, I suggested he produce some occasional pieces for Catallaxy – when he has both time and inclination. While I was away on circuit, his first piece lobbed into my in-tray. Chris notes that ‘it’s not political’, but it is interesting. This is the first time the piece has seen the light of day.

Enjoy.

I’ve filed it under ‘popular culture’, but if someone’s minded to create an ‘art’ category and drop it in there, I’d be grateful.

1. Posted February 24, 2007 at 4:56 pm | Permalink

An attractive distraction from the Homer v CL global punster showdown on the Open Thread 😉

2. Posted February 24, 2007 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Indeed.

Be nice if you had more arts n’ farts on Catallaxy. Then I’d know what I was talking about.

3. Chris Berg
    Posted February 24, 2007 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

Thanks SL – I think I prefer being categorised under pop culture anyway!

On reflection, that title, ‘Airport Wilderness’ makes the picture seem far more meaningful than it is… I’m so used to tagging data on a computer, I forget that placing words next to other words can be used to create other meanings!

But I’m always frustrated with artists who present the viewer with series’ of ‘untitled’ pieces – I’m firmly convinced that the hardest part of drawing is titling the finished piece.

4. Posted February 24, 2007 at 5:51 pm | Permalink

I’m working on the ‘more arts and farts’, Adrien 😉 Chris is going to contribute artwork – and the odd editorial cartoon – when he gets time. My ‘thick sheik’ competition was designed to get a few more arty things happening, too. We’re working on it (now we just need a blood on the floor post on the Archibald!)

5. Sinclair Davidson
    Posted February 25, 2007 at 6:58 pm | Permalink

I’d like to put a good word for young Chris Berg. Despite being a Rothbardian, he is a good guy and has excellent choice in co-authors.

6. Sinclair Davidson
    Posted February 26, 2007 at 3:13 pm | Permalink

Let the whole world know that Chris was right and I was wrong. He is a god-editor and I am a worm.

7. Jason Soon
    Posted February 26, 2007 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

He’s a Rothbardian?

Poor lad, I hope he gets better 🙂

8. Chris Berg
    Posted February 26, 2007 at 3:38 pm | Permalink

I like to think of Rothbardianism as a phase. Like Chicken Pox, or skateboarding.

9. Posted February 26, 2007 at 4:10 pm | Permalink

Why the God-editor tag, Sinc? Do fess, please.

10. Sinclair Davidson
    Posted February 26, 2007 at 4:32 pm | Permalink

Chris is the editor of the IPA Review. An excellent periodical that has improved greatly since young Chris took over. (They always publish stuff I send them.) Chris always writes an intro to the issue and discusses all the papers in some or other context. One day at the pub I told chris he had not discussed my excellent contribution and he said he had. Well, it turned out he had and I have to now admit he was right. 🙂

11. Bring Back CL's Blog