In which the British evince a quality sense of humour

Most ‘funny’ groups on Facebook are not, ahem, funny, but the ‘Petition to let David Dimbleby go to bed‘ group is funny. As the group admins explain:

As many of you know, poor David has been up for more than 14 hours as a result of the hung parliament. During this time he has become less coherent and more irate. This is a petition for the BBC to let David go to bed as he is old and frail.

In the end, David stayed up for a full 24 hours, and when he finally did get to bed, he was dragged out of it shortly thereafter to present a midday special on the hung parliament. David Dimbleby is 71. The rest of the BBC presenters were also starting to look pretty fragged by that point as well.

The group is a wonderfully warm commentary on the affection the British have for the best in the national broadcaster, leavened with a good dose of irony and healthy self-deprecation. The graphic below is exceptional, however, and nearly cost me a keyboard. It was created by a John Guilbert, in the spirit of a large number of pisstakes directed at party political advertising around the UK during the election campaign. And yes, David Cameron’s forehead has been airbrushed, which is how the mockery started.

UPDATE: DEM suspects botox

1. Posted May 10, 2010 at 1:20 am | Permalink

You think? I suspect botox, personally. The beeb had a side by side of Clegg & Cameron in outside light and the difference in forehead is significant, even taking account of lighting and distance.

2. TerjeP (say Taya)
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 12:19 pm | Permalink

I’ve been thinking of getting my forehead airbrushed. Does it hurt? 😉

3. Posted May 10, 2010 at 1:34 pm | Permalink

Youthful looking skin, all you have to do is inject poison. I think you are onto something DEM.

4. Ann of Brisbane
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

Could someone hunt up some pix of Cameron from a year or two or three ago – his face is not super-familiar in Australia, but now that you think about it Botox could be the reason he looks a little ‘unreal.’

5. Peter Patton
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:37 pm | Permalink

Aw gawd, I feel like I’ve been in labour for 48 hours waiting for this to be resolved. Look. I’m no libertarian, or even rightie, but there is only one choice that Clegg has, if he wishes to remain being considered a human being with any brains or ethics; and that is make an alliance with the Tories.

Harriet and her Harpeople, along with the rest of New Labour, must be taken out to the back shed and put down.

6. Peter Patton
    Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:41 pm | Permalink

Well Anna Bligh spends half the proceeds from her privatizations on botulism injections, so surely it’s OK for Cameron, and highly recommended for Gordie?

Posted May 10, 2010 at 2:55 pm | Permalink

PP I think you need to let go a bit. It really really isn’t that important!

8. Posted May 10, 2010 at 4:26 pm | Permalink

Comments about airbrushing were all over the British press after that Conservative advert first appeared, but now I look at it, botox looks more likely. Both Cameron & Clegg are the same age so the forehead contrast is notable.

Amusing but unimportant.

And when something has been resolved this end, I will put up a post, but not before. At the moment it’s all just speculation up the wazoo.

9. su
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 5:57 am | Permalink

Has to be botox. Also, put a little beard on him and a few extra pounds and he would be the dead spit of Henry VIII.

10. TerjeP (say Taya)
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 10:30 am | Permalink

I do call myself a libertarian but I don’t agree. The lib dems should negotiate genuinely with Labour and the Tories. They are going to cop a lot of blame whatever the outcome so they ought to make a strong play for true electoral reform.

Regarding the lib dem policy of electing the house of lords I don’t agree. The upper house should be one in which members are appointed via a system of sortition with minimal qualification. Sortition for the upper house gets rid of many of the major things that suck about politics.

11. Posted May 11, 2010 at 3:54 pm | Permalink

Like the presence of far too many lawyers in parliament with good teeth and shiny hair.

12. Peter Patton
    Posted May 11, 2010 at 7:35 pm | Permalink

Terje

Your first paragraph humbled me, forcing me to reflect more on the complexity of the situation, and the inevitable clashing of the Lib Dems own motivations and interests. But then, your SECOND paragraph comes out swinging against the Lib-Dems OWN stated goals, by substituting how YOU think the UK parliament should be restructured. 😉

13. Posted May 12, 2010 at 5:15 am | Permalink

I’ve been thinking of getting my forehead airbrushed. Does it hurt?

You’re thinking of sandblasting…

14. TerjeP (say Taya)
    Posted May 12, 2010 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Does sandblasting your forehead hurt? I suppose so.

Peter – I didn’t suggest that if the Lib Dems disagree with me that they are subhuman, brainless and unethical.

15. JC
    Posted May 13, 2010 at 11:01 pm | Permalink

SL

Hives Hamilton was at Oxford? Just how low have British standards fallen?

What’s that cue ball doing there, for lord’s sake.

16. Posted May 14, 2010 at 10:27 pm | Permalink

That looks like a planed author visit to Blackwells, which is a truly massive bookshop in Oxford. It seems to have been arranged by his publisher — nothing to do with the university.

17. JC
    Posted May 15, 2010 at 12:23 pm | Permalink

Thank god. I was worried for you.

One Trackback

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by searchtempo. searchtempo said: In which the British evince a quality sense of humour: Most ‘funny’ groups on Facebook are not, ahem, funny, but t… http://bit.ly/aSHfff […]