Saturday chit-chat

In odd blogging news, yesterday was the most popular day on the blog this week, which suggests there are more fiction readers out there than I thought, it being a Friday and all (usually people piss off by about 3pm on a Friday afternoon, and our stats nosedive). If you’re a fiction fan, the background to my second novel is here, and a taster is here. Enjoy.

In other news, further evidence that some people have far too much time on their hands.

The BBC news story also explains the photograph on the left.

UPDATE 29/9/10: And the cat came back

1. Posted September 25, 2010 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

Calling it a “sick prank” while admitting the painter took care to successfully avoid nose and eyes is interesting… Those who pamper their cats with the attentions of hairwashers and stylists do the same, or worse… repeatedly. If the pink pussy painter cops a cruelty to animals charge, then I hope the cat fanatics around the world cop the same charges.

2. Posted September 25, 2010 at 5:33 pm | Permalink

We need NSFW labels on future BL&G out-takes. The scene of enthusiastic and mutual physical intimacy contained words and phrases whose only other valid meaning refer to poorly plumbed chicken coops.

3. Posted September 25, 2010 at 7:43 pm | Permalink

Dang. I thought I’d headed that problem off at the pass by sticking anything untoward over the fold. I remember when Birdy used to get a run on over at the Cat, a certain law firm of which I was an employee used to block the site. That’s why I used to vanish for ages and ages…

4. Posted September 25, 2010 at 8:19 pm | Permalink

There I was at work having a read first thing in the morning and suddenly having to scroll a bit quickly. It’s not a filter-and-bondage sort of outfit but I am in that body of persons who prefer to avoid awkward conversations 😀

Putting it over the fold was definitely the right thing to do though.

5. Posted September 25, 2010 at 8:51 pm | Permalink

Thinking that the vigorous repeated washings attempting to get rid of the pink paint would have been worse for the cat than the painting.

6. Posted September 25, 2010 at 9:24 pm | Permalink

DEM suspects the pink is highlighter pen. Which means that someone, quite literally, ‘coloured in a cat’.

7. Chris Bond
    Posted September 25, 2010 at 11:52 pm | Permalink

Hi, first time commenting, enjoying the blogs.

[email protected], see http://www.snopes.com/photos/arts/paintedcats.asp … “The joke lives on” indeed! But have to say I’m impressed / amused with what can be done with Photoshop!

Jacques [email protected], I took a while to realise that “… NSFW labels on future BL&G out-takes” applied to “The Angel – Bring Laws and Gods outtake #1” – not to the pink pussy-cat!

SL, I thoroughly enjoyed the ‘query’ and the outtake, and am looking forward to the published work. I’m a chemical engineer not a publisher, but even so I’d suggest ensuring the ‘branding’ of “Bring Laws and Gods” is as solid as possible by starting any posts about it with the title, e.g. “Bring Laws and Gods – outtake #1 – The Angel”, “Bring Laws and Gods – The Past is a Foreign Country”, etc, etc.

Dave [email protected], the article says “vets have not been able to wash the dye out of her fur” – I suspect they would have tried a small patch, found it’s not washable, and stopped – vets have a healthy respect for (awake) cats!

[email protected], I can’t imagine a cat holding still long enough for someone to colour it, or the resulting colour being so even – maybe a sprayed dye?

8. Posted September 26, 2010 at 12:16 am | Permalink

Chris: if you wander down the sidebar, you’ll see that BL&G has its own category, and I also make sure it’s ‘tagged’, so it appears in Google when people search on that phrase. I didn’t figure this out myself, alas — it was all set up by the redoubtable Jacques, who is our redoubtable blogmeister and webwrangler.

Good point about wriggling cats though. I suppose it would sit still long enough if it were your cat. I am no expert on felinitude, alas.

9. Posted September 29, 2010 at 8:16 pm | Permalink

Turns out the guilty owner used food dye and is indeed getting her cat – called imaginatively Oi-Kitty! – back. With some tips on responsible animal care from the RSPCA thrown in.

10. Posted September 29, 2010 at 8:29 pm | Permalink

It’s official. I have now seen everything.

11. Posted September 29, 2010 at 9:32 pm | Permalink

Wondering …

* if the pink-haired girl, after successful animal testing of the pink food dye, will use the dye herself.

* if a glow-in-the-dark dye, if equally non-toxic, could be seen as a positive benefit to animal life – nocturnal birds

* if the girl decides a shaven head would be fashionable for herself…

12. jtfsoon
    Posted October 1, 2010 at 2:32 pm | Permalink

hey lawyers
    what”s your views on this?

I don’t believe in hate crimes but these two jerks deserve to get sued for all they’ll earn by the parents of the guy

13. ken n
    Posted October 1, 2010 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Yes Jason that was a sad case. I suspect though that we are not getting the full story.
    Suicide is usually a consequence of mental illness, not just one event.

14. Posted October 1, 2010 at 6:45 pm | Permalink

As Ken says, they’ll struggle to establish causation (suicide is very causally complex), but to the extent that they do (even on an apportionment basis), then the sleazy little buggers should have the book thrown at them.

One Trackback

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by GraceBarkwell and Legal Eagle, John Hacking. John Hacking said: Saturday chit-chat: In odd blogging news, yesterday was the most popular day on the blog this week, which suggests… http://bit.ly/cmmauz […]