Australia Sux (New Zealand, Seven)

By DeusExMacintosh

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has been blocked from addressing New Zealand’s sitting parliament during her visit to Wellington this week.

The New Zealand Greens Party opposed a plan by the country’s National government for Ms Gillard to talk directly to parliament while in session this Wednesday, saying it would set an uncomfortable precedent.

“In New Zealand, no head of government or head of state has addressed a session of parliament and that’s a principle that we’re quite keen to keep,” NZ Greens co-leader Russel (Russel) Norman told AAP.

“The governor-general isn’t even allowed onto the floor of parliament, our own head of state.”

If it were allowed, it could permit future governments inviting “all sorts of unpleasant people, like (former United States president) George Bush, for example, they had in Australia, that I think a lot of members of parliament would be uncomfortable with”, he said.

In a compromise, Ms Gillard will be allowed to speak in parliament’s debating chamber, becoming the first foreign leader to do so.

Sydney Morning Herald

(or if you’re going to be really pedantic, sivun…)

1. Posted February 18, 2011 at 9:05 pm | Permalink

Ah, the Greens. Such sticklers for tradition.

I guess all that loving nature leaves only people to bear the burden of one’s emotional negativities.

2. Posted February 18, 2011 at 10:53 pm | Permalink

Imagine how much shorter Gillard’s speeches would be if you translated all the “Look at moiee” vowels into the single vowel “?” (schwa) of our kiwi friends – but without such a technical doohickey available, I reckon all New Zealanders have got reason to be thankful to the Greens.

3. Posted February 18, 2011 at 11:04 pm | Permalink

Witty Knitter is SO going to spank me for this one…

Posted February 19, 2011 at 3:02 am | Permalink

Good for them – sticking to their principles. Perhaps we should invade them as the only country in the world with proven, true Weapons of Mass Destruction: The All Blacks.

5. Posted February 19, 2011 at 6:20 am | Permalink

Can Julia beehive herself?

Posted February 19, 2011 at 6:51 am | Permalink

I really hate NZ. I think it’s something to do with what kvd said.

7. Posted February 19, 2011 at 8:33 am | Permalink

[email protected]: From Geelong, I’m happy enough for Oz triumphalism to be quietened with losses in the Bloodyslow Cup – and maybe more of the heathens north of the Murray will turn to the one true religion.

Mind you, I’ve seen REALLY scary hakas – from types that later kidnapped and beat up a girlfriend up so badly I had to give her cash to get out of town after she escaped and I patched her up – too scared to hang around and lay charges. Apart from the few crazy-scary, the rest of the kiwis are crazy-hilarious. But they are all crazy I reckon.

8. Posted February 19, 2011 at 9:41 am | Permalink

At the risk of being kicked out of the country, Aussie and Kiwis sound the same to me. And now if you’ll excuse me I just need to hide from my wife for the next thirty tears.

Posted February 19, 2011 at 9:46 am | Permalink

[email protected] I don’t hate the New Zealanders – I reckon they are great; it’s just the full on ferocity which is unsettling. But if you really want scary, watch the All Blacks’ personal trainers in action. I think they call themselves the Silver Ferns.

10. Posted February 19, 2011 at 10:42 am | Permalink

You want scary NZ? – see Waitangi Tribunal on Moriori/Chatham Island! (Interesting tactic – blaming the Crown for not keeping to the treaty, not taming the North Islanders enough!)

11. Posted February 19, 2011 at 3:23 pm | Permalink

[email protected] You mean like Americans and Canadians? 🙂

Posted February 19, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

[email protected]

At least now I can understand where you got the religious term “sky fairy” from. And I would back our groin injury reports against yours any (in fact, every) day of the week – for detail and inaccuracy 🙂

13. Posted February 20, 2011 at 4:20 am | Permalink

You want to see tough? Wales Vs All Blacks featuring a Zulu-style ‘sing off’ between the Hakka and the welsh national anthem. Kiwis wiped the floor with the welsh rugby players (from memory) but they nearly didn’t make it out of the city alive. =8-)

14. su
    Posted February 20, 2011 at 8:00 am | Permalink

Russell Norman is an Aussie, was at UQ when I was there, member of Resistance etc.

Posted February 20, 2011 at 11:55 am | Permalink

I do love Welsh rugby singing.

16. Posted February 21, 2011 at 4:22 am | Permalink

I couldn’t resist this comment stream – http://belshaw.blogspot.com/2011/02/it-all-suxs.html

17. Posted February 21, 2011 at 5:10 am | Permalink

I linked to this in my did you see the one about . . . post.

A commenter on my blog pointed out I’d said his when it should have been her. Apologies – I’ve corrected that.

I really liked (or should that be rilly loiked?) the post and enjoyed the comments.

18. Posted February 21, 2011 at 6:49 pm | Permalink

Thanks for the link, Homepaddock. No offense taken. Having grown up in Australia (West Island) I was suitably preprogrammed with enough sheep jokes to comfortably see me through five years in Wales.

19. peter d jones
    Posted February 22, 2011 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Good on the Kiwis. Letting visiting leaders speak is a waste of time. Look what it cost us when Dubya came and all the pollies went back to Canberra to hear him – cost the taxpayer over $1 million. Just have a Friendship Association dinner party instead. Great cartoon !

Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:42 am | Permalink

Our thoughts are with you right now

21. Posted February 22, 2011 at 3:36 pm | Permalink

Oh crap. I just read kvd’s link.

22. Posted February 22, 2011 at 4:05 pm | Permalink

Oh hell… To LE and any regular with friends and family over there – I hope all your loved ones are safe.

Let’s hope Gillard starts talking some big bucks to go to rebuilding Christchurch and Mr Rabbit doesn’t object.

Posted February 22, 2011 at 6:16 pm | Permalink

Let’s hope what??!?

My thoughts and best wishes are certainly with anyone affected in Christchurch. But if they want us to rebuild their country they just have to have a referendum and become part of our country!

24. Posted February 22, 2011 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

[email protected] : actually it was a close thing – 1890s constitutional conventions had perhaps more interest from kiwis than sandgropers. So many laws and regs are being normalized… How many standards have just “AS” in front, not “AS/NZS”?

That Australian icon painting of Simpson and the donkey? Ahem. And how many Australians can’t tell the difference between flags?

You’ve got jokes about West Island, jokes about Bondi being one of the largest New Zealand cities…

Hell, how many of us in Vic have more friends from NZ than WA, Tas or Qld? (The same type of pattern would hold I reckon for most states in Oz). Just did a count on linkedin and facebook – kiwis outnumber queenslanders 3:1.

The fact they are in a different nation state is pretty much a technicality the way I see it.

One word is the slam dunk: “ANZAC”

25. Posted February 22, 2011 at 9:49 pm | Permalink

Homepaddock has a piece up at his place; he was on the way to Christchurch airport when the quake struck:

This is just awful.

26. Posted February 22, 2011 at 11:49 pm | Permalink

There is now a new post on the Christchurch Earthquake which includes details of where you can send donations.

27. Posted February 23, 2011 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Lorenzo & Legal Eagle, yes, I’m a pom. Mrs Exile is an Aussie which is why I’m hoping she doesn’t see what I said about the accents here. To be fair I’ve got a lot better since I’ve been in Melbourne and can usually tell I’m talking to a Kiwi after a while.

2 Trackbacks

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by John Hacking, Legal Eagle. Legal Eagle said: Australia Sux (New Zealand, Seven): Prime Minister Julia Gillard has been blocked from addressing New Zealand’s … http://bit.ly/hmvFBv […]

2. By Did you see the one about « Homepaddock on February 20, 2011 at 7:17 am

[…] Australia sux (New Zealand seven) – Skeptic lawyer adds to his series of topical comics with one of Julia Gillard’s visit. […]