Christchurch Earthquake: Please Give Generously

By DeusExMacintosh

The following organisations are accepting donations for those affected by the earthquake.

Donate online at www.salvationarmy.org.nz
By Post: The Salvation Army , PO Box 27 001 Marion Square, Wellington 6141, New Zealand.
Please specify that your donation is for the Canterbury Earthquake Appeal.

The Red Cross has launched an 0900 Appeal Members of the public can make an automatic $20 donation by phoning 0900 33 200. Telecom is offsetting all charges for Red Cross relating to that number, ensuring 100% of donations go to the fund.

ASB Donations can be made at any ASB branch, via internet banking direct to the appeal account or through ASBs Contact Centre (0800 803 804). Merchant fees for credit card transactions have been waived for these donations. Account details are: Canterbury Earthquake Appeal 2010, 12-3192-0015998-01

ANZ and National Bank branches nationwide.
ANZ branch (account number: 01-1839-0188939-00) or at any National Bank (account number: 06-0869-0548507-00).

Kiwibank
The account number is 38-9009-0759479-00 and the account name is Red Cross.

BNZ Donations can be made at any BNZ branch or online to:
Canterbury Mayoral Relief Fund Appeal Account: 02-0800-0840040-000
BNZ Salvation Army Canterbury Earthquake Appeal Account: 02-0500-0989994-000
BNZ Red Cross Canterbury Earthquake Appeal Account:
02-0500-0982004-000

The charitable trust set up for victims of the Pike River Mine disaster has stopped taking donations and is urging people to donate to quake victims instead.


New Zealand’s prime minister says at least 65 people have died after a 6.3-magnitude earthquake hit Christchurch. John Key said the toll was expected to rise further, adding: “We may be witnessing New Zealand’s darkest day.”

The tremor caused widespread damage as it occurred at a shallow depth of 5km (3.1 miles) during lunchtime when Christchurch was at its busiest.

The mayor of New Zealand’s second-biggest city says 120 people have been rescued from the ruins.

The country’s deadliest natural disaster in 80 years struck at 1251 (2351 GMT on Monday), 10km (6.2 miles) south-east of the city.

The damage is said to be far worse than after the 7.1-magnitude quake on 4 September, which left two people seriously injured but no fatalities.

The epicentre of that quake, which occurred in the middle of the night, was further away from the city and deeper underground, but it still caused an estimated $3bn (£1.9bn) in damage. TV pictures of the aftermath of Tuesday’s disaster showed scores of collapsed buildings in the South Island city of nearly 400,000 people.

Shocked survivors could be seen wandering the rubble-strewn streets, which cracked open as the ground beneath was liquefied by the tremor.

Police said that the dead included people on two buses which were crushed by falling buildings. Helicopters plucked survivors to safety from rooftops, and dumped water on fires.

Officials said up to 30 people were feared still trapped inside the razed Pyne Gould Guinness building, where screams have been heard from the ruins.

BBC News

New Zealand police said in a statement that there were reports of multiple fatalities in the city, including a report that two buses had been crushed by falling buildings. The police statement said there were other reports of fires burning in the city and people being trapped in buildings.

The airport was closed and Christchurch Hospital was evacuated. Power and telephone lines were knocked out, and pipes burst, flooding the streets. Some cars apparently parked on the street were buried under rubble.

[Christchurch Mayor Bob] Parker said an emergency operation was being set up in the city centre.

“This is obviously a dreadful, dreadful aftershock, it felt more like a new quake to me,” he told Radio NZ.

Christchurch Hospital was being evacuated, a spokeswoman for the hospital said. Witnesses have told local reporters there would be “deaths” this time.

“It was terrifying,” a witness, who said she was in the city centre when the quake hit, told Sky News. “I thought I was going to die. I just want to get out of the CBD.”

Power was out in Christchurch and phone lines were down.

The New Zealand Herald reported that the jolt was felt in the capital Wellington to the north and the city of Dunedin to the south. Residents say it lasted about a minute. Tarmac on the road was cracked and water mains had burst, flooding the streets with water.

“It was incredibly violent, very very scary,” one visitor to the city, Philip Gregan said while on the phone to AAP. “We’re all standing out on the street with sirens going off around us.

“Oh no, there’s another one,” he said while on the phone. I want to get out of here.”…

The US. Geological Survey said the temblor was centred 5km from the city at a depth of 4km.

A priest told New Zealand’s TV3 that he feared people were trapped in the rubble.

“It’s just huge, it is huge,” he said. “The building’s a building. The really important thing is the people. We just don’t know if there are people under that rubble. I fear there are.”

The Australian

Images:
1. An iconic Christchurch tram is buried under rubble during an aftershock.
2. An injured man dies in the street, holding his wife’s hand.
3. The Pyne Gould Group building has pancaked.
4. Seismologists show readings of the 6.3 quake.
5. Shocked local schoolgirls try to contact family and friends.
6. The 63 metre iconic spire of Christchurch Cathedral disintegrated completely.

UPDATE: New commenter Homepaddock was on his way to the airport when the Earthquake struck.

I heeded the request to keep off the phone until I got to Darfield, rang my farmer to report in. He’d been talking to someone on the eighth floor of the Forsyth Barr building in the centre of Christchurch as the quake struck, he heard loud screams then the phone disconnected.

It took several tries and a long wait on hold, to get through to Air New Zealand.

Flights are expected to resume this evening but the only seat they could guarantee me was early tomorrow – the last on the flight. I was going up to Wellington for a meeting but it’s not essential for me to be there. I chose to leave the seat for someone whose need might be more urgent.

I am now heading home, counting my blessings and thinking of the people on Christchurch who may not have homes to go to, the ones who are injured, the ones who’ve been killed.

If there’s a lucky time to have an earthquake it was in the early hours of the morning when the September one struck. Today Christchurch’s luck ran out.

GOOGLE has also launched a specialist Person Finder app for Christchurch.

5 Comments

  1. Posted February 23, 2011 at 3:30 am | Permalink

    Thank you. Friends in Christchurch tell me they appreciate knowing people from not only other parts of New Zealand but around the world, are thinking of them.

  2. Jacques Chester
    Posted February 23, 2011 at 7:25 am | Permalink

    The Red Cross NZ site seems to be down, but Red Cross Australia are accepting donations on their behalf.

  3. Posted February 23, 2011 at 8:15 am | Permalink

    Thinking of the Kiwis at this time.

  4. Posted February 26, 2011 at 8:52 pm | Permalink

    I have received a request to remove the second photograph from my news collage, but have declined. I’m republishing my explanation of why.

    Gaven:

    On behalf of the family, especially his child, please remove this photo as other websites have…show some respect…

    DEM:

    I have nothing but respect for this man and his family and I am truly sorry for their loss. The reason I chose to include this image (and it was a deliberate choice after some hard thought) was that the vast majority of coverage from the quake zone has been images of the ruined buildings. People seemed more concerned with damage to the lovely Christchurch architecture than the hundreds of lives that had been lost. I felt that people – like this man, his family and his child – are more important and that we could do with being reminded of this.

    It is difficult to mourn for scores of strangers but we CAN feel for one man. Who lived. Then died. I only wish I knew his name so I could better remember him. That and donating to the appeals is all I can do, and why the picture will be staying. I’m sorry.

    “Tell me not, in mournful numbers, life is but an empty dream!
    For the soul is dead that slumbers, and things are not what they seem.
    Life is real! Life is earnest! And the grave is not its goal;
    Dust thou art; to dust returnest, Was not spoken of the soul.”
    – Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

One Trackback

  1. […] Donation information courtesy of ScepticLawyer: […]

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *

*
*