Shoggoth lives!

By Lorenzo

On Murano, the glass island, they have glass sculptures.

They tended to be rather starkly modern, but I was taken with this one (possibly for somewhat Lovecraftian reasons). OK, it does not actually look much like a Shoggoth but that is where my mind went. (I presume it is some sort of sea anemone.)

This is also the Saturday chit-chat post.

Posted August 4, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Lorenzo that would have to close to the ugliest ‘art’ I’ve seen in a while. Which gives me an excuse to ask you what you might make of this proposed revision of economic history?

Posted August 4, 2012 at 9:16 am | Permalink

LE you may be right as to prettiness, but I’m just hoping it’s more than 50 metres from the nearest pub, bus stop, and deciduous tree – otherwise it could be pretty high maintenance for a public piece.

3. Posted August 4, 2012 at 11:46 am | Permalink

[email protected] It is on an island that takes its glass pretty seriously. I suspect it is not as big a problem as it looks.

4. Posted August 4, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

[email protected] You must be living a very sheltered existence if that is the ugliest art you seen in a while.

Deidre McCloskey is an interesting historical thinker, but I haven’t read her books to give an informed comment.

5. Posted August 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm | Permalink

This is difficult, it addresses the implications of The Hygiene Hypothesis which is presenting us with a series of conundrums. It has important implications for human health and at present is the best explanation for the sudden rises in immunological and inflammatory disorders.
    Sunshine, Pathogen Genocide, Vitamin D, Happiness, and Cognition

6. conrad
    Posted August 4, 2012 at 1:57 pm | Permalink

I find it fine — although the fencing is pretty awful.

Posted August 4, 2012 at 2:26 pm | Permalink

[email protected] I can see it displayed very well in the arid section of Canberra’s botannical gardens, or in any green open space with no overhangings or temporary fencing – as Conrad mentions. But if it is a demonstration of craft mastery then I assume you saw the horse, and this is better?

Maybe it’s just a case of one person’s ugly is another’s Shoggoth. I’m easy with that.

8. Posted August 4, 2012 at 4:54 pm | Permalink

I would not like to fall on it. It would be rather like falling from a high point on the Scott Monument, I suspect.

Thanks to its spikiness, the upper reaches of the Scott Monument are a favourite haunt for suicides, and it is not beloved of the local constabulary … on account of what they may find there early in the morning.

Posted August 4, 2012 at 5:36 pm | Permalink

[email protected] that’s a pretty gruesome story. And the monument itself is a bit weird for Scotland? Minus the supporting columns, it looks like it would be more at home in Thailand.