Venezia at the QVM

By Lorenzo

While walking near the Queen Victoria Markets (I had spent some time back in Melbourne, working near the Queen Victoria Markets, before it struck me that said Markets were at the junction of Queen and Victoria Streets) I saw this shop display.

Somehow, it seemed vaguely familiar.

This is also the Saturday chit-chat post.

1. Mel
    Posted September 1, 2012 at 9:30 pm | Permalink

4 ugly Norwegians with voices that would stir my soul if I had one.

Posted September 2, 2012 at 7:01 am | Permalink

I agree Mel; and I always thought kd lang’s version was terrific. Actually her whole 49th album is quite beautiful.

3. Mel
    Posted September 4, 2012 at 5:09 pm | Permalink

Lorenzo,

I got a copy of the new paperback edition of Quiggin’s Zombie Economics a couple of days back. Have you read it?

ps. Our resident goldbug Terje Peterson gets an acknowledgment 😉

4. Posted September 5, 2012 at 5:12 am | Permalink

[email protected] No.

Posted September 6, 2012 at 3:08 am | Permalink

Too late in the week for chit-chat? I love this story about a thieving Chinese banker. The reporter has a wonderful sense of the absurdity of life. A couple of quotes, for those with no time to read the whole:

Like many others before him, he quickly took advantage, quietly siphoning off money and buying his own discotheque, supermarket, shrimp farm and plastics factory. – a true entrepreneur, and:

In 2003, however, a routine check exposed the 23 million yuan (£2.3 million) he had stolen, reportedly with the co-operation of most of the branch’s 34 other employees. – made me smile. Collectivism at its finest 😉

6. Mel
    Posted September 7, 2012 at 2:19 pm | Permalink

Of interest to legal beagles, last night’s Catalyst had a story about how eye witnesses have significantly greater success picking the right person in a line-up if they are forced to make a quick decision, for example only 3 seconds to look at each face on a computer screen.

It reminds of other stories about how we find it much harder to pick the right person in a line-up if the (alleged) culprit is from another race.

Posted September 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm | Permalink

Hey Mel, watched a bit if the DNC today, and one of the speakers (an actor aged 20s, 30s? I’m not good on ages) was saying her gen
    “‘needed and wanted our voice to be heard” – or some such.

And I was thinking Twitter, Facebook, Youtube, iPhones, blogs,etc. and where had she been, and why didn’t she just shut up already 😉

8. Posted September 7, 2012 at 4:52 pm | Permalink

If a tree grows in a forest, does anyone see it?